Cupboard above bulkhead - removable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a cupboard in the small bedroom above the bulkhead of the stairs. I want to remove this as it's clearly been where an old boiler has been and the entire cupboard is grotty.

I presume this is not load bearing and I'm free to continue ripping it out?
20221206_200649.jpg

20221206_200645.jpg

Sponsored Links
Should be ok but why get rid of storage space in what looks to be small bedroom.

Blup

Should be ok but why get rid of storage space in what looks to be small bedroom.

Blup
Just look at the state of it. I'll be making it an office with a desk that sweeps over the bulkhead frame.

First, have a look through the loft access to be certain the studding is not supporting any ceiling joists.
Second, is the studding partition actually in the small bedroom or on the landing beyond the bedroom door?
Isolate and drain the copper pipes down below where they branch off larger pipes or appliances. No deadlegs

Otherwise no problems.

Sponsored Links
I need to go up to get the Christmas decorations so that was my plan tonight. I'd be surprised as it's not full length of the room.

It's actually in the small bedroom that's behind the stairs. I believe it's had an old immersion heater or similar in there? One of those copper pipes has been capped, the others just open. Is the capped one likely to be gas? There's a new boiler in the kitchen and disconnected water tank in the loft. Whoever removed the old clearly just did a bodge job.

This is the bedroom for more context, wall at back with socket on is the one I wish to remove.

20220827_131002.jpg

Thanks for the pic, now I understand.
The tank in the loft needs emptying & then removing - is it galv metal or plastic?
No gas pipes will be present - the cu pipe stubs I can see were probably simply water.
They should be drained down as I suggested above. (open pipes can still retain water).
The cable for the imm heater could be picked up & used for your purposes.

If you have doubts about any of this stuff the get a plumber & a sparkie in.

FWIW: if you know where your internal & external stop-valves are, & you can operate them - & you know how to shut off your gas at the meter then great. Otherwise definitely call in the cavalry.

Thanks for the pic, now I understand.
The tank in the loft needs emptying & then removing - is it galv metal or plastic?
No gas pipes will be present - the cu pipe stubs I can see were probably simply water.
They should be drained down as I suggested above. (open pipes can still retain water).
The cable for the imm heater could be picked up & used for your purposes.

If you have doubts about any of this stuff the get a plumber & a sparkie in.

FWIW: if you know where your internal & external stop-valves are, & you can operate them - & you know how to shut off your gas at the meter then great. Otherwise definitely call in the cavalry.
Thanks mate.

It's a plastic tank in the loft which is already empty. It's just too big to come down through the hatch! Might cut it up and bring it down if I feel like it. I need to get rid then!

20220903_135739.jpg

Looking in the loft I have these rafter supports coming into the joists. Does this positioning suggest the wall is load bearing in the bedroom?

20221207_195356.jpg

Surely not?

They're tied together and into the joists with metal ties.

Also noticed there's condensation in our loft. It's finally below freezing today so presumably why I'm seeing it. It's visibly dripping from the roof.

Is this down to the insulation not allowing the house to breathe?

20221207_195112.jpg
20221207_195119.jpg

20220903_135734.jpg
20220903_135731.jpg

The roof trusses you show have built-in ceiling joists - they were sometimes spaced 24" c/c.
I cant say much more because I cant see much more? But your probably OK with the plasterboard pinned to the trusses.

The condensation is a result of unusually cold weather and a very warm loft.
You should try to seal off your loft from heat rising from the house.

The roof trusses you show have built-in ceiling joists - they were sometimes spaced 24" c/c.
I cant say much more because I cant see much more? But your probably OK with the plasterboard pinned to the trusses.

The condensation is a result of unusually cold weather and a very warm loft.
You should try to seal off your loft from heat rising from the house.
Do you want me to roll back the insulation above the wall I'm wanting to remove?

And I've just read the wiki on the condensation in lofts. I'll try rectify that!

Thanks for your help by the way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back