Current Earth Bonding Regulations

I asked because you only spoke of connecting it to another pipe. Would you also connect it to a CPC
No, it is now effectively connected to the PEB.

- since, as I understand it, without such a connection it would not qualify as 'supplementary bonding'.
Of course it is supplementary (additional) bonding.

BS7671 does not seem to have a word for "plumbers' cross-bonding" (joining pipes with G/Y without connecting to a CPC).
How about "pointless and not worthy of consideration"?

Sponsored Links
We are dealing with one pipe which is not effectively connected to the MEB - by definition >1,666Ω.
If 1666Ω is to be the threshold over which something is not effectively connected to the MEB, then should it not also be the threshold over which something is not effectively connected to Earth and therefore not effectively able to introduce a potential and therefore not effectively an extraneous-conductive-part?

I am all for the thirst for knowledge and playing Devil's advocate but it does seem to be stretching things somewhat to question why and who decided something with which you agree and may have decided yourself had you been in the position.
I'm not really playing Devil's Advocate but, rather, am pointing out that the regs themselves do not quantitatively define what constitutes an extraneous-c-p. They merely define it as a conductor which is "liable to introduce a potential (usually earth potential) - and, as I have pointed out, a conductor is 'liable to introduce a potential' even if its resistance (to earth or whatever) is 1MΩ or more - albeit that 'introduced potential' would then be essentially harmless!

I agree that it would be perfectly reasonable to define an extraneous-c-p in terms of the current which could flow through a person to earth through that conductor under worst-case fault conditions (e.g. your >23kΩ criterion) - but the regs do not appear to do that (even if some guidance documents do).

Kind Regards, John

We are dealing with one pipe which is not effectively connected to the MEB - by definition >1,666Ω.
If 1666Ω is to be the threshold over which something is not effectively connected to the MEB,
According to 701.415.2.2 it is - 50/Ia of the RCD.

then should it not also be the threshold over which something is not effectively connected to Earth and therefore not effectively able to introduce a potential and therefore not effectively an extraneous-conductive-part?
No.

Sponsored Links
I asked because you only spoke of connecting it to another pipe. Would you also connect it to a CPC
No, it is now effectively connected to the PEB.
- since, as I understand it, without such a connection it would not qualify as 'supplementary bonding'.
Of course it is supplementary (additional) bonding.
Well, it's certainly bonding, and it's certainly not Main Bonding, so one could sympathise with what you're saying - but, in the absence of a connection to CPCs, it does not seem to satisfy the definition in 415.2.1 for 'supplementary bonding' - so, as I've implied, maybe we need (BS7671 needs) a third term?
BS7671 does not seem to have a word for "plumbers' cross-bonding" (joining pipes with G/Y without connecting to a CPC).
How about "pointless and not worthy of consideration"?
"Pointless" is certainly correct in terms of what plumbers often do, but what you are describing above is essentially the same (connecting two pipes together without also adding a connection to CPs) - but, in your case, not pointless!

Kind Regards, John

"Pointless" is certainly correct in terms of what plumbers often do, but what you are describing above is essentially the same (connecting two pipes together without also adding a connection to CPs) - but, in your case, not pointless!

Kind Regards, John

When my new CH boiler was installed they "cross bonded" (for want of a better term) all 6 pipes into the boiler, and when I asked them why, they said "our company electrician says we must" :rolleyes:

If 1666Ω is to be the threshold over which something is not effectively connected to the MEB, then should it not also be the threshold over which something is not effectively connected to Earth and therefore not effectively able to introduce a potential and therefore not effectively an extraneous-conductive-part?
No. A connection to earth which falls far short of representing 'an effective connection to the MEB' (per that definition) could represent a serious hazard.

That is, I presume, why, per the guidance figures EFLI is citing, it is being suggested that something should be regarded as an extraneous-c-p if its resistance to earth is less than 23kΩ - representing (if one ignore's the person's impedance) a 10mA current flowing through a person who is 'connected' between a 230V source and that conductive part.

Kind Regards, John

Well, it's certainly bonding, and it's certainly not Main Bonding, so one could sympathise with what you're saying - but, in the absence of a connection to CPCs, it does not seem to satisfy the definition in 415.2.1 for 'supplementary bonding' - so, as I've implied, maybe we need (BS7671 needs) a third term?
That's ridiculous; 415.2.1 is not a definition. See NOTE 3 above and 415.2.2

Ridiculous again.
So, the only part of supplementary bonding which may not be omitted ceases to be supplementary bonding.

That's ridiculous; 415.2.1 is not a definition. See NOTE 3 above and 415.2.2
Ridiculous or not, that note does not alter the fact that 415.2.1 says "Supplementary equipotential bonding ... shall be connected to the protective conductors of all equipment including those of socket outlets". Perhaps more to the point, in relation to bathrooms etc. (the only situation in which supplementary bonding rears its head), 701.415.2 (a supplement to 415.2) re-iterates that any/all supplementary bonding in a bathroom has to be connected to "he terminals of the protective conductor" of each circuit in the room.
Ridiculous again. So, the only part of supplementary bonding which may not be omitted ceases to be supplementary bonding.
I don't completely understand that.

Kind Regards, John

Why not? ... How can you have a grey area? ... Surely something is either effectively connected or it is not effectively connected. It's binary.
Yes, 'effectively connected' (in the sense of facilitating the operation of a 30mA RCD in the presence of a 50V touch voltage) or not is binary.

However, in terms of the general definition of an extraneous-c-p (for which one cannot assume that there is RCD protection) much higher resistances to earth could still represent a hazard.

It's not a 'grey area' - it's two different situations.

Kind Regards, John

Ridiculous or not, that note does not alter the fact that 415.2.1 says "Supplementary equipotential bonding ... shall be connected to the protective conductors of all equipment including those of socket outlets". Perhaps more to the point, in relation to bathrooms etc. (the only situation in which supplementary bonding rears its head), 701.415.2 (a supplement to 415.2) re-iterates that any/all supplementary bonding in a bathroom has to be connected to "he terminals of the protective conductor" of each circuit in the room.
Only if required.

Ridiculous again. So, the only part of supplementary bonding which may not be omitted ceases to be supplementary bonding.
I feel you are taking the mick.

We are talking about supplementary bonding being omitted when RCD protection is in place.
This is the same as saying that, despite the RCD, supplementary bonding IS required where the resistance between parts is > (yes >) 1666Ω. Where this is applicable to only one pipe means that the single conductor required IS supplementary bonding.

In my example of this being caused by a plastic pipe connection then a conductor bridging that connection would achieve the same compliant result.
This conductor is therefore supplementary (additional) bonding.

Only if required.
Yes, but you are proposing to describe as 'supplementary bonding' the connection you propose to install (just connecting two pipes) in order to allow (other) supplementary bonding to be omitted. Are you saying that there are two types of 'supplementary bonding', one which does, and the other which doesn't, require a connection to CPCs?
I feel you are taking the mick.
Not at all. I'm confused ....
We are talking about supplementary bonding being omitted when RCD protection is in place.
Indeed we are.
This is the same as saying that, despite the RCD, supplementary bonding IS required where the resistance between parts is > (yes >) 1666Ω. Where this is applicable to only one pipe means that the single conductor required IS supplementary bonding.
Fair enough - but, as I've said, if this "IS" supplementary bonding, why is it immune from the requirement that it should be connected to "the terminals of the protective conductor" of each circuit in the room?
This conductor is therefore supplementary (additional) bonding.
It's certainly 'additional' bonding - but, as I keep saying, it does not appear to satisfy the BS7671 requirements for 'supplementary bonding'.

This whole discussion arises because you are insisting on calling your connection between two pipes (and nothing else) as 'supplementary bonding'. If you called it something else, I think we would probably be totally in agreement :)

Kind Regards, John

Yes, but you are proposing to describe as 'supplementary bonding' the connection you propose to install (just connecting two pipes) in order to allow (other) supplementary bonding to be omitted. Are you saying that there are two types of 'supplementary bonding', one which does, and the other which doesn't, require a connection to CPCs?
No, the CPCs will be within the 50/Ia limit and will not require supplementary bonding.

Fair enough - but, as I've said, if this "IS" supplementary bonding, why is it immune from the requirement that it should be connected to "the terminals of the protective conductor" of each circuit in the room?
But that only applies IF the item requires supplementary bonding.

It's certainly 'additional' bonding - but, as I keep saying, it does not appear to satisfy the BS7671 requirements for 'supplementary bonding'.
415.2.1 is dependent on 415.2.2

This whole discussion arises because you are insisting on calling your connection between two pipes (and nothing else) as 'supplementary bonding'. If you called it something else, I think we would probably be totally in agreement :)
What else is there to call it?
It is additional; that is all supplementary means.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back