current from a double socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have disco equipment. Anyone here know if i,m pulling 11 amp from my lights, and 5 amp+ from the sound side of the kit. Am i ok plugging the sound side(5 amp) into one socket of a double wall socket, and the lights (11 amp) into the other socket? Or should i use seperate wall sockets. This is UK 240v 13 amp sockets?
Paul

Sponsored Links
you shouldn't really draw more than 13A total from a double socket though in practice you will almost certainly get away with it at least for short duration loads.

so should i plug into two seperate sockets, 11 amp from one and 5 amp from the other?

paulpa66 said:
so should i plug into two seperate sockets, 11 amp from one and 5 amp from the other?
11 amps is a lot. Try plugging the lights into a plug-in meter and measure the current. It may not be that much, given that some of your lights probably flash etc.

Sponsored Links
i was thinking simialr, but if they are say helicopters they dont usualy flash, just spin, similarly moon lights are on and change colour, my how times have changed.

Best thing to ask is, what lights are actually present?

It does not matter as they both have fuses in the plugtops.A 13a sockets do not mean no more than 13a may be pulled.It's merely a term for the facility to use of a plugtop.

The Pink Panther said:
It does not matter as they both have fuses in the plugtops.A 13a sockets do not mean no more than 13a may be pulled.It's merely a term for the facility to use of a plugtop.
There was a thread on this a while back, a 13A double socket is only spec'd to supply about 13-15A, depending on the manufacturer. Loophole somewhere in the regs or something. MK make theirs to a higher current spec, but still only 20A-ish.

The Pink Panther said:

similarly the fact that a car says its for unleaded petrol, thats just merely a term for the facility to use unleaded fuel, I could use 4 star, diesel or even vodka in it...

the lights total over 2kw, 1200w of that flashes but can be put into flood mode(all on) the othere total 1200w and are on all the time, scanners and moon lights.

Can anyone recommend where to get one and what they are called so i can do a search for one.
Cheers
Paul

"11 amps is a lot. Try plugging the lights into a plug-in meter and measure the current"

paulpa66 said:
"11 amps is a lot. Try plugging the lights into a plug-in meter and measure the current"
electrical wholesaler. your after a clamp meter

no your not, measuring the power of a plugged in device using a clamp meter would be a real PITA (proabblly involving making a special extention lead with the cores seperate using something like test lead wire).

you can buy plug in meters for measuring the current drawn (among other things) from a single appliance. As for where to get them i'm pretty sure i've seen them in maplin but they probablly aren't the cheapest source.

Mate, sorry nobody else has told you this, but if you are plugging both equipment into sockets on the same circuit, it dont matter if its double or single sockets. you are still drawing the same current off the same circuit,

TS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back