current from a double socket

For a power meter, have a look at www.maplin.co.uk item L61AQ.
Plugs straight into a socket.
Measures volts, amps, VA, power factor, freq., and power consumption over a period.
All for 25 quid!

Sponsored Links
TraineeSpark said:
Mate, sorry nobody else has told you this, but if you are plugging both equipment into sockets on the same circuit, it dont matter if its double or single sockets. you are still drawing the same current off the same circuit,

TS
that wasn't the issue. It was how much current can one draw off a double socket without it blowing up or similar.

crafty1289 said:
There was a thread on this a while back, a 13A double socket is only spec'd to supply about 13-15A, depending on the manufacturer. Loophole somewhere in the regs or something. MK make theirs to a higher current spec, but still only 20A-ish.

Think this is what you are looking for: MK's words on the matter (was posted before by FWL / Big_spark)

All MK socket-outlets are manufactured to comply with BS1363 part 2: 1995 and are rated at 13A per unit. Double socket-outlets have been manufactured and tested to exceed this rating by margin that allows electrical safety and reduces the risk of heat and mechanical damage to components due to overloading. It should be noted that BS1363 part 2: 1995 does not allow double sockets to operate at twice the permissable maximum loading and it should be remembered that double socket-outlets are not manufactured to be able to withstand a 26A load for sustained periods of time.

Research by ourselves and third party organisations has shown that all MK double sockets can safely withstand a continuous load of 19.5A for an indefinite period. Increasing the load slightly will begin to cause heat and mechanical stresses on the components in a relatively short period. Testing showed that a load of 22.3A was sufficient to cause heat stress that would cause a browning of the faceplates and sufficient heat to cause insulation damage to cable cores. A load of 24A for 43 hours was sufficient to cause significant heat damage to the material in which the socket-oulet was situated and within 75 hours sufficient to cause significant damage that would lead to the very real potential of fire.

MK recommend that users of their sockets consult professional design Engineers when designing installations to avoid the possibility of heat and mechanical stress to components and installations caused by overloading of MK socket-outlets

thanks for that. think i,ll get the tester just to see how much current i,m useing. but looks like 15 amp from two sources should be ok for a 4-5 hour load.
paul

Sponsored Links
True, but back at the CU there'll be a 30 amp fuse or a 32 amp MCB.

Lot of amps even so. Maybe a generator in the back garden is the solution ?

hmm that'll learn me to check for page two :)

How about halls,clubs,hotels etc. Are they rated higher, as they will surely be useing other items on the same circuit?
Paul

paulpa66 said:
How about halls,clubs,hotels etc. Are they rated higher, as they will surely be useing other items on the same circuit?
Paul
no they still have 32A rings, but think about it, there is hardly anything plugged in in these places, everything is permenantly fixed, often in radial dedicated 20A circuits, in a hall or hotel function room, only the DJ equipment will need to be plugged in.

TraineeSpark said:
Mate, sorry nobody else has told you this, but if you are plugging both equipment into sockets on the same circuit, it dont matter if its double or single sockets. you are still drawing the same current off the same circuit,

TS

Trainee, perhaps you might like to continue training..

Double Sockets have a MAXIMUM rating of 13A, MK over-rate their sockets so they can carry a total load of about 18A, but this is only for short periods.

To overload a socket for any length of time is dangerous, and will certainly result in damage to the accessory, this is often noticable as a browning of the plastic of the accessory.

i seem to remember the stuff you posted from mk said they had tested theier sockets to 19A continuous without any damage.

i can't speak for pubs and clubs but i know theatres have almost everything running through switching and dimmer systems (and generally connected to those systems via 15A bs546 plugs and sockets) that will be specced out for the load they think is likely to be on at once (and probablly quite a bit over that) all 13A sockets are used for in such places afaict is cleaning and possiblly some of the bands kit

plugwash said:
i seem to remember the stuff you posted from mk said they had tested theier sockets to 19A continuous without any damage.
I knew I used to have this, but I thought I'd lost it. I was right and wrong - I do still have it.

From

BS 1363:1984 Incorporating Amendment Nos. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6

Specification for 13 A fused plugs and switched and unswitched socket-outlets

16 Temperature rise

16.1 Accessories and their surroundings shall not
attain excessive temperatures in normal use.

16.1.1 Compliance shall be checked by the tests
described in 16.1.2, 16.1.3 and 16.1.4 for plugs,
fixed socket-outlets and portable socket-outlets
respectively.

The tests shall be carried out at rated voltage.

16.1.3 describes in painful detail how sockets are to be mounted and supplied. They are then asked to pass a current through a special test plug, and with single sockets there is an additional load on the supply cable.

The test currents are:

[code:1]Type of Plugs with Balance Total load on
socket connected loads of load supply cable

Single 1 x 14 A 6A 20A

Twin 1 x 14 A + 1 x 6 A 20A

Multiple
(fused) 1 x 14 A + 1 x 6 A 20A

Multiple
(unfused) 2 x 14 A 28A[/code:1]
The test is done in a sealed chamber, and run for at least 4 hours and at most 8, or until the temperature stabilises. Nothing must rise in temperature by more than 50°, and after the test, "the socket-outlet shall be in a serviceable condition".

plugwash said:

Your right, I mistyped the reply...Fat fingers are a bain!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back