curved concrete cap on wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I have built a retaining wall. It has 6" hollows at the back and tied to it on the front is local stone. The local stone is pretty soft and 'shailey'. In the summer, I want to put a curved rustic looking (not too rustic!) concrete cap on it to shed the rain. Should the concrete mix have waterproofer in it? How strong a mix should it be please? Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
Are you making coping stones or just putting concrete on the wall and finishing it off?

The reason is that ideally you want an overhang and drip to prevent rain soaking the wall below the copings - especially if the bricks and stone is soft are.

The mix needs to have small pebbles too, and more sand to give a smooth finish. Something like 1:2:4 and polish the top by rubbing with some polythene or DPC. No waterproofer needed, but the finish is very important if you want it to last

Hi, thanks for that. I am thinking about putting a lip of slate or tile along for the drips to keep the water away from the face of the wall. Very helpful thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back