curved roof construction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to create a roof structure for curved corrugated steel roofing sheets. It's going to be around 2.4m wide by 4.8m long.

I was thinking of making up curved rafters out of two pieces of ply with solid wood spacers. Cutting the ply in a curve section by jigsaw and screwing/gluing the spacers in-between.

Then skinning the roof in ply sheet.

So is this entirely feasible and if so, how deep should the ply rafter sections be to give it the strength?

Sponsored Links
my instinct is to laminate in solid wood and bend it round a curved jig like making deck beams for a boat,probably 5 or 6 inches deep

I would forget the spacers and laminate the ply together, say 4 18mm ply sheets which give a support 72mm wide which will be very strong, in confine spaces or difficult access this method is use to create structural support where a steel would normally be used and is very strong. Depending on the height of curve you could get several from an 8x4 sheet.A curve height of 300mm should suffice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back