Customer managed to take out company head!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a call last week from a customer who looks after some rental flats. Tenant had reported problem with cooker circuit tripping plug in mcb. he went round to 'have a look and a fiddle'

Reset mcb - it tripped
Reset mcb- it tripped
Reset mcb and HELD IT UP
I imagine a bit of swearing, maybe a flash and then loss of all power.

Idiot had managed to blow the main fuse (60A)!

Cue phone call to me...

Sponsored Links
What did you do?

I'd voltstick the cutout and call the DNO.

Oh and charge for them for the callout :evil:

Well, rightly or wrongly, I disconnected the circuit, ran a systems tests on the rest (1 power and 1 lighting circuit - TINY flat!) and used the 60A spare that I always carry to give the tenant back some power. Am back this week to sort out fault and upgrade DB

SB

Sponsored Links
What brand of plug-in-mcb was it? I thought the things were fail safe, ie the lever will re-set the mechanism but not prevent it re-tripping- the mechanism will break the circuit and the level will just spring back when you let it go.

otherwise kitchen fitters would just sticky tape them on.

it was a wylex 69808 b - you know the old rewireable replacement ones - 30A

I guess it is possible to hold it up - wouldn't like to have been his finger at that point! Mind you the whole install was rather old, so it might have been faulty?

What brand of plug-in-mcb was it? I thought the things were fail safe, ie the lever will re-set the mechanism but not prevent it re-tripping- the mechanism will break the circuit and the level will just spring back when you let it go.

Chances are that it never actually failed, just that after a few goes, the fuse was nicely warmed up to give it enough of a headstart in the discrimination race. An old wylex plug in breaker is probably not as fast as a modern one either.

That said... I'm not sure I'd reuse the breaker either!

IIRC those plug in MCBs don't have an especially high breaking capacity.

The repeated quick resets might have killed something internal, or even drawn an arc across the switching contacts. I think adams theory is probably most likely though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back