customer moaning b4 jobs done

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
got a customer whos paid a deposit,we have started the job and we know the job is good as the trainer from the company we install for actually helped do the job hes 25 years experiance.Any way go to tidy up and finish some bits,customer not happy we explain we have yet not finished and all the points they have bought up we know already and are what were doing today.what now worrys me is the customer gonna not wanna pay and use some silly excuse not to.would you guys
1 carry on
2 ask for more part payment
3 or do some thing else as were still on the job i want to get it sorted b4 we leave the job,so far materials far out way the deposit.Were do i stand as the is the first time its happened.

Sponsored Links
If I were your customer & I would look at the work after you had gone home for the night.
If there bits I wasnt happy with, I would either casually say, 'I assume that will be etc etc'. or if you had said you were finished I would then say Im not happy etc etc...

If I were the tradesman I would rather the first option, as at least I wouldnt have put my tools away, but I would say to the customer, we are aware of that & will be doing (even if I wasnt aware).

Hope this helps

yes we have told customer we are aware what needs to be done,the daugther has taken over even her parents agree that she needs to let us finish first,but she is pig headeed and seems to want to argue,but we have told her extremly polietly please let us finish but to no availe.thats what woorries us who in charge and what can we do if she says she does not want to pay.

I can't see the probelm.

If things clearly are not finished then all you have to do is agree with her and then just say "It's not finished"

When she points out an item, just ask her what would be her preferred or expected outcome, and again agree that this will be so "when it is finished"

Are you saying that she has stopped the job? Or can you carry on?

Remember that strictly, your contract is with the parents, so deal with them - discretely if need be

You do need to finish the job and then deal with any situation then. You should not be pressured into doing anything else other than what you have been contracted to do. And certainly don't pull off unless you have 100% proof that the client has frustrated the contract

Also, you should have agreed the payments terms beforehand. Can you ask for more money now? Do you think they would pay more now, or would it inflame the situation?

Sponsored Links
the father has agreed to pay some more money but at the end of the day i dont want the situation to deterioate on my invoice it says payment in full on day of completion.Really i need to walk away with all the money as the job is completed apart from what needed to be done 3hrs work.I know you live and learn.plus she stopped us working today just by ranting on.

If payment on completion are the terms then they are the terms.

When you complete, ask the client if he is happy. If he is not then you either agree further work, agree to accept a lesser sum, or you dispute.

Don't accept a lesser sum or cash any cheques for a lesser sum, as then you are legally accepting this in full and final settlement.

If a dispute arises, then you will have to negotiate a solution.

Don't be afraid to take out a count court claim (aka "small claims court") to get your money.

From now on, make sure you document every conversation, or instruction etc, in case you need evidence later on

thank you for your advice heres the thing the chap who helped us and signs of the job is employed by councils courts to resolve probs this is what she dosent seem understand hes an expert in his feld

Don't...cash any cheques for a lesser sum, as then you are legally accepting this in full and final settlement.
Not necessarily, although there is a protocol to follow, if it comes to court action and suing for the balance and the judge agreeing that f&f was not the case.

Yes, sorry, I was suffering from BAS fatigue there. What I meant to say was that if a cheque is offered in a lesser amount as f&f, you can still bank it and chase for the difference, but there are certain procedures that you must follow to stand a chance of it not being booted out by the court (I just won one like that :)). Not entirely relevant to the matter in hand, but just adding to Woody's comment, really.

Sound advice from Woodster overall as ever to which I would add try and deal only with the person who's your client and, if the daughter won't butt out, tell her that she is not the client and you will have no further dealing with her.

Sponsored Links
Back