customers interpretations of job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
doing a quick downstairs bathroom refit, remove old quad tray/enclosure and tiles, remove basin and refit new stuff inc tiles. customer wants job done cheaply and when we removed tiles i said we'd get it flat as we could to get the new tiles to sit as best as possible.

long story short, tiled, grouted and went in to fit enclosure, customer wasn't happy with job, said they thought we were going to re-plaster the walls to make the job perfect. i argued that really it was mis-communication on both sides, my fault for not saying that it really needed replastering and their fault for not saying they wanted a perfect job, bearing in mind there were only 2 tiles that had slightly sat proud of other tiles.

either way, tiles came off, they're now getting the wall pastered but i've gotta stump for another lot of adhesive and grout plus time. annoyed with myself for not being more forceful and telling them that they were the 1's who wanted the cheap job, thus why i didn't bother to mention the fact it'd need a re-skim. hey ho, better to have a happy customer and less cash in the pocket than an annoyed customer and more cash.

rant over!!!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
No, it's called terms of appointment and if they don't sign, you don't do the work. Doesn't need to be complicated, just states work to be carried out, price to be charged, rates for variations/dayworks and so forth.

I know that ;)
We use it daily, for every order, for every client: no signed order confirmation back, no delivery of the materials or start of the works.

Just a smiling addition to your 'not let' - make statement. sound it like you put a gun to someone's head an make them sign ;)

I know that ;)
We use it daily, for every order, for every client: no signed order confirmation back, no delivery of the materials or start of the works.

Just a smiling addition to your 'not let' - make statement. sound it like you put a gun to someone's head an make them sign ;)
Maybe we should help them along in such ways... :LOL:

and then pull your hair out when they are a complete crazy old bitch from hell and dont take any ntoice and hunt you down like a rabid dog!

sorry rant over, there are always a few nutters out there. (was that what you were refering to MR N?)

I had a similar case not so long ago while doing a bathroom installation...
Initial talk all they want is low price and don't care much about details - eventually it was a problem that by the windows here and there I had come out with the Timeless gloss onto the Timeless mat by 3-4mm. I had a coat of mat on top, but if you look closely you could notice it, so had to fix it... :mad:

Anyway, the problem is, it is very difficult to put everything down on paper. You can't possibly think of every detail that they might decide is unacceptable. How do you specify what level of the finish they are paying for without ending up with a ridiculously thick bunch of paper for a contract? At the end of the day they pay when they are happy with the work, so I don't think I'll be pricing for less than standard finish any time soon.

Come to think of it, every time I have made a discount to a client something went wrong.

Sponsored Links
Back