customer moron!!help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys. ive recently gone self employed and would appreciate some advice. went to do a landlords gas check. took cover off boiler had a peak in combustion chamber, check case seal, gave quick hoover as was wee bit dirty. did usual landlord gas checks on dhw mode only.
day later he phone me saying heating wont turn off blaming me!! since i hadnt touched heating controls or components ( why would i)i knew it wasnt me!! anyway i couldnt be bothered arguing. gave him refund and suggusted may be dv stuck in ch mode. ( hes not trying on by the way) still phones, i then say call alpha. when their engineer comes and fixes get a written statement detailing fault. if they say it my fault ill pay. offered this as i knew its not my fault. have i done enough here? i think ive been very reasonable. its very rare but once a year youll do a landlord gas check and the boiler will coincidently break down. law of averages. and customer blames you!!!

Sponsored Links
I think you've done MORE than enough. You should not have to pay for the repair whatever the Alpha rep says - he might be a numpty.

We've stopped working for Landlords full stop, apart from regular previous customers. I turn down CP12s now, just not interested. More potential trouble than they are worth.

If Alpha say it is not your fault, I would resubmit the invoice.

My best advice, don't work for Landlords full stop, it's waste of time, there are too many out there trying to have your pants down.

Apologies to the decent ones out there, we can't tell who you are from a phone call. :eek:

Thats the trouble with everything these days, there's too many bad apples spoiling it for everyone else. :mad: :evil:

ive never had a prob too be honest. done hundreds with no payment issues. most of mine are first time , young professionals moving out. estate agents i dont work for, nor chaps with loads of flats.

Sponsored Links
you shouldn't have given him a refund, you've just made yourself look guilty.
You've done your job, you take your money. I've had that a few times where I've tested heating and dvs havene't reseated cos the heating hasn't been used for months and the systems full of sh1te. Not my fault they haven't maintained their system.

..anyway i couldnt be bothered arguing. gave him refund ...
With all due respect, you are mental.
He only wanted a lgsr, and you even did mini maintenance, which seems to indicate that the boiler was not maintained properly.
If the boiler was working fine when you left, whatever happens afterwards is his problem.
Are you absolutely sure that all was working fine before you did the check? Wouldn't be the first time some dodgy **** tries to get a free repair by asking for a cp12 or a "service" without telling you that the boiler does not work properly.

Off topic, worth to get access to CC as certain issues are not good to discuss in public domain area.

Yes, this should be in the CC !

This demonstrates your lack of experience. You must ask before you go there if the boiler is working correctly when going to do a CP12.

If its a repair then thats more expensive!

BEFORE you start your CP12 checks on the boiler but AFTER you do the tightness, check the boiler operation in both CH and DHW modes. There are some rogue landlords who ask you for a CP 12 when there is a fault on the system!

It probably only that he has failed to turn up the room stat! Now you have given his money back and presumably left him with the CP12 !

If you had any confidence in your capabilities you would have been straight back to find the fault and charged him extra if it was his stupidity in not setting the controls properly.

I know that many do so, but in my view you should not be doing any work on boilers unless you have some reasonable skill to repair them in a situation like this.

You cannot afford these days to give the payment back when you have already done the work.

Tony

thanks. ive never had a complaint thats all. and arguing over a few quid is not worth the hassle. hes a doctor and just moved out. i dont think he pulling a fast one. i genuiely think its one of those unfortunate coincidences that i turn up and its gets stuck on heating. hes not a boiler man so its only naturally he thinks its my fault!!refunded him the landlords and thats that as far im concerned.!!

Thats what you did but now you have given the £65 back to him.

Why did you not go back and see what the problem was?

Even more likely that he did not select heating or turn the room stat if he is a doctor as they have some innate inability to operate heating systems.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back