AQUAIR 80 Gas Safety Certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Johnson&Starley AQUAIR 80 which is a warm air heat exchanger, my flat is on the 9th floor of a 15 story block which means I have no gas supply to it.
I've just been threatened with legal action by my housing association landlord for refusing to allow a Gas Safety Inspection to be carried out on on the appliance.
I know they may have a responsibility to check the electrical safety of it but they don't mention anything about that.
I'm a little confused to say the least.
My last 'Gas Safety Inspection' was in june '08 because I still have the CP12 they gave me.
Is this a case of the contractor taking the landlord for a mug?

Sponsored Links
I assume thats an electrically heated unit.

What happens when you tell them that you have no gas supply so dont need a gas check?

I dont understand why it bothers you so much. Why not just let them come so the contractor gets paid for the job?

You could complain to, and then about, the HA wasting money by sending the contractor when no gas check is required.

Tony

When I say refused its a case of me not replying to the 'We Called But You Were Out' cards they put through my letterbox.
The heat exchanger is supplied by a (hot water) flow and return pipe and the electrics just run the room stat and the fan which blows out the rising warm air.
I don't have a problem with people getting paid to do the job, good on them but when I have to wait in all day for them to turn up to carry out a needless inspection then that to me is a waste of my time.

Sponsored Links
sounds like last year a contractor obtained payment for a check they did not actually do! as a CP12 is a gas certificate not an electrical certificate
and as you correctly state the unit is an electrically powered water to air heater. :LOL:

let the H/A take you to court if they insist on a GAS inspection. hopefully they wouldn't go that far before someone realised the error in pursueing this. if they don't claim damages.

Presumably the hot water heat source is powered by a communal boiler somewhere in the block?

There is a small argument perhaps that even under the gas safety check it should be viewed to check on earth bonding issues in conjunction with the gas boiler in the block.

But its not really worth arguing just tell them to come at a time which suits you.

Tony

Sorry to bump this topic but I thought the odd few would like to know that the contractors letters regarding this matter have now been revised and re-written in such a way that it informs the house holder that although it is not classed as a gas appliance they are under obligation to check the electrical safety and fittings.

i remember years ago getting paid for rest day servicing at hanover housing. i was paid £25 a job for gas safety certs on 40 flats.

no gas just immersion heaters.

but hanovers insisted they wanted it done.

I'm being paid to service an Industrial oil fired boiler in a Large office building Twice a year, even though the landlord had the building mothballed Two years ago, and there is no oil in the Tank!, I keep telling them but still the order to service arrives Good hey!! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back