Gas Safety Certificate -expired, new inspection with warning

From how I am interpreting the pics there is more than one NCS. Two NCS = AR so boiler would be turned off.

Sponsored Links
a cert is like a gas version of an mot. the cert does have pass or fail written on it and the RGI notes which it is, pass or fail.

Not really.
It ISN'T a certificate, it's just a Record.
There's NO pass or fail overall, only for specific tests incorporated, such as flue flow, gas tightness.
The guy doesn't HAVE to issue one, but if he sees something At Risk or Immediately Dangerous he has to take action, appropriate to the problem. This involves other Notices.

If the flue looks like it's about to fall on the ground then I'd call it AR, which means a label saying you shouldn't use it.

If he sees something bad he CANNOT pretend he hasn't seen it.
We all break that one from time to time, but if you do that when you've been brought in to look at something, you're a prat.

In recent years, couple of times plumbers have come in, ummd & aahd looking at the flue, phoned another plumber & put it through as NCS.

a cert is like a gas version of an mot. the cert does have pass or fail written on it and the RGI notes which it is, pass or fail.

Not really.
It ISN'T a certificate, it's just a Record.
There's NO pass or fail overall, only for specific tests incorporated, such as flue flow, gas tightness.
The guy doesn't HAVE to issue one, but if he sees something At Risk or Immediately Dangerous he has to take action, appropriate to the problem. This involves other Notices.

i was dumbing it down for the OP but im pretty sure the BG version does have pass or fail on it. i could be wrong as we haven't physically issued them for a long time, the office does it.

if he has been called in to do a cert then i believe he does have to issue one, like i said earlier im not saying thats true, just what i think. i also said that no matter what the cert says he has to issue the appropiate warning letters ect.

Sponsored Links
From how I am interpreting the pics there is more than one NCS. Two NCS = AR so boiler would be turned off.
Only applies to Open Flued appliances which (for the op's benefit!) this one isn't.

Nickso - sorry I interpreted what you were saying as regulatory edicts, not "just"(!) BG's.
BG's procedures are well beyond my understanding :eek: :eek: !

Is that all !!
Very possibly not. A lot of older boilers were put in with inadequately sized gas pipe. Could add several hunderd £, more if it has to go under rosewood flooring.
Heaven knows where the flue will have to go for the new boiler. Could take half a day extra and an unusually expensive boiler.
If the old rads/pipes are particularly clogged or need replacing, add hundreds more.
Then it might need a wireless stat or an enclosure.
And don't forget TRVs.
Quotes around £4-5000 to replace combis aren't all that uncommon.

Sure, perfectly reasonable stab though Jack_S seemed to think it was a lot. Little does he know!

Still haven't heard back from plumber or his boss about replacing the clip to hold flue.

What would be situation if there is no current Gas Safety Certificate ??

Thanks

You should be putting your tenants in alternative accommodation, until the boiler can be used again. If you are using it without a cert, knowing you have been refused one, you can be prosecuted. If your tenants contact the local authority, or CORGI, you have a big problem.

If you have asked the people doing the safety check to quote on the basis of a repair, I would imagine they are totally uninterested.

Just because your boiler failed to meet an acceptable standard to get a certificate (I worded that to please all the pedantics on here) does not mean they are under any obligation to provide you with a remedy. It is your problem, they have done what was asked of them.

From the information given, you would be best advised to fit a new boiler. However, it comes as no surprise that you would not want to countenance the expenditure.

I know it is too late for this year, but a landlord should get the check done long before the existing one expires (again like an MOT) so that if there is an issue it gets resolved before expiry.
large social landlords would not risk not having a current cert so they get them done 10-11 months after the last one to allow for access problems etc, this means we do 6 checks every 5 years it costs them but keeps them right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back