Gas Safety Inspection -date of Expiry/ date of Issue ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When an MOT is done up to month before current MOT, the date
of expiry of new MOT can be put down as expiry date of old MOT,
so you don't lose a period of validity.

Is this the same with boiler Gas Safety Inspections ??

My inspection was a week before expiry of current certificate.

Date of issue (expiry) of new certificate is a week before old one,
so I have lost a week's validity.

Can the Date of Expiry be set at date on old certificate (& not date of issue),
even though inspection has been carried out week earlier ??

Jack S.

Sponsored Links
Bahco said:
What a skinflint you are :!: :LOL:
But why should keep losing week/weeks of validity each year ??

I'm not the landlord, I'm the tenant.
I want to have gas inspections as little possible.

If you lost a week's validity here or there on things in your house,
your car, things you use, I'm sure you'd prefer this didn't happen.

Jack S.

Bahco said:

I don't know about that Bahco :rolleyes:

It costs at least £10 a week to register, multiply that by 100000 RGI's and it a million quid thay pinched.

Just a thought :LOL:

Sponsored Links
doitall said:
Bahco said:
I don't know about that Bahco :rolleyes:
It costs at least £10 a week to register, multiply that by 100000 RGI's and it a million quid thay pinched.
Just a thought :LOL:
There is that as well, small amounts add up in total.

I just would prefer annual inspection dates to to remain the same,
& not be coming forward by a week here or there.

Can the Date of Expiry be set at date on old certificate (& not date of issue),
even though inspection has been carried out week earlier ??

Jack S.

Ps: I had exactly the same situation when my tenancies were being renewed
maybe a week early & I was possibly losing a week of my old tenancy.

Why not have the inspection done AFTER the expiry date of the previous one. :D

You could also have the inspection a week later to compensate you for your previous loss. ;)

At a Corgi forum last month and this issue was brought up and they are looking into it so you don't have this certificate running out even though you are up to date with everything, if you need a up to date one you'll probably have to pay for it.

Bahco said:
Why not have the inspection done AFTER the expiry date of the previous one. :D

You could also have the inspection a week later to compensate you for your previous loss. ;)
The plumbers arrange the gas inspections for my letting agents.
The plumbers sent a threatening reminder letter week before expiry saying my "Compliance is Required", that it is a legal requirement & warning they will contact landlord if I don't arrange inspection.

I never received 1st letter, so either 1st letter was lost or they forgot to send & just sent threatening reminder letter to make sure inspection was done in time.

I prefer that certificate expiry date stays same, so I have as little hassle as possible from these plumbers.

I know the plumbers just want to get the job done, but I don't like threatening letters like this.
The plumbers/letting agent/landlord just want their legal certificate saying they are covered !!

I could arrange inspection on Expiry Date or day before, but I'd prefer Expiry Date automatically stays the same.

cant they just get your permission to enter with the spare keys held at the lettings agency.

cozzmic said:
At a Corgi forum last month and this issue was brought up and they are looking into it so you don't have this certificate running out even though you are up to date with everything, if you need a up to date one you'll probably have to pay for it.
Not sure what you mean.

Currently gas inspection certificates expire 12 months from Date of Issue
and landlords have to pay for new certificate each year.

Do you mean the follow on certificates will be continuous, expiring on same expiry date,
even though inspection was done a week or weeks earlier ??

I REALLY can't see how YOU the tenant is losing out. :eek:

If you were the landlord and losing out financially I would understand.

Surely a tenants concern is that the gas appliances have been checked and signed off as satisfactory.

Please explain if I have missed something. :D

Quite right Bahco. Just think, if it was a week early each year, in 52 years time you'd lose a certificate and I'd think wot a poor chap you are.
While we're on the subject, I do loads of landlord certs. Who here thinks that, generally, tenants are a pain in the r's for access? Collecting keys, odd times[early/ late], often out etc. Well?

Tenants can be a pain in the a**e. I send appointment cards out a week before due date. It gives the date and time (either am or pm). On the card it tells them to contact me direct to re-arrange the appoinment if not convenient. It also states that if they don't respond and are not in at the inspection time they automatically authorise key access. I also tell them they will be charged if the cookers are in such a state that I can't inspect them (amazing how many tenants start cleaning them when I tell them my extortionate hourly rate for cleaning)

I love the way they say ' oh, I haven't had time to clean it today' ! Yeah right, this year more like. Yuk, can't blame anyone for not wanting to work on cookers. You can sometimes smell them at the front door b4 entry. Lovely. :mad:

Corgi,s spec on gas inspections require the certificate to be carried out within 12 months there fore you are loosing a day any way, But they also say they are only valid for 1 day to cover us from meddling tennents.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back