Landlord's gas certificates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just had 2 boiler connected and commissioned in my new holiday lets.

I intend to get then Landlords Gas Safety Certificates annually following the necessary annual servicing and safety checks even though they appear to be only a requirement for reesidential letting. But do I need certificates from day 1 or is the Benchmark certificate for each boiler sufficient for the first year?

Sponsored Links
As far as I am aware Landlords Gas Safety Records Are a legal requirement on all rented accomodation.
So you should have them inplace before renting your property to cover yourself as landlord.
The benchmark paperwork only applys to the boiler whereas the LGSR applies to the whole gas installation.
Hope this helps.

As long as the boiler is the only appliance in the property i.e. no cooker or fires, then the Benchmark book will be acceptible for up to 12 months, at this time a CP12 would need to be issued by a RGI - who told you holiday lets don't need a Landlords CP12 certificate, this is incorrect a Holiday let is a RENTED ACCOMODATION be it for One Night - or One Year!!! ;)

Thanks.

I've since had a look at HSE guidance and that confirms the holiday lets need certificates. :)

(I've never been offered or seen a gas cert for a holiday let though...... :eek: )

Is there any reference I can look up for the Benchmark cert being OK for the first year? There is no other gas in the flats, only the combi boilers.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
If I was you I would check with Gas Safe.
I know that you need to have a LGSR for all rented property and am fairy sure that if you have a new appliance fitted during a current LGSR then you dont need a new LGSR but can use notification number for new appliance until the LGSR runs out then the whole system gets tested again with the new appliance.
Gas Safe phone number is 0800 408 5500
Best to make sure youre covered!

If it is a new installation , installed by an rgi , u do not need a LLT certificate for the 1st year , because all relevant test's & check's would have been done , providing it is the only appliance , it should also be noted that , if the tenancy let change's check's should be made prior to reletting , as u do not know what the previous occupant might have done ?????? Duty of care perhap's ???

Each of the 3 flats are new conversions by us and each has a new boiler, new separate gas meter and new separate gas piping installed by Gas Safe installer. There are no other gas appliances.

Therefore it seems the three Benchmark certificates will suffice for the 1st year.

The 'tenancy' will change many times during the holiday season but surely I won't need to prove gas safety to each and every holidaymaker or get it retested every week? I'm sure caravan parks don't do that.

under gas safe installation & use reg's the term Landlord reg 36 (1) ,cover's rented holiday accomadation , chalet's , cottage's , flat's , caravan's , & narrow boat's on inland water way's !!

Which I assume would mean that >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

When tenant's vacate premise's landlord's need to ensure fitting's & appliance's are safe before reletting ,!!

Interpret that as you see fit ??? it would not mean a new certificate need's to be issued !! I would advise you contact gas safe for guidance !! & get it in writing not verbal >>>

I think that I am going to disagree and say that in my opinion you need a CP12 from the beginning.

Thats because the Benchmark only applies to the apliance and not to the meter and pipework.

Although the installer SHOULD have checked everything you will have no paperwork to confirm that he did ( unless he did a Gas Safety Certificate ).

Tony

In a standard renting situation, the installer provided a CP12 as well as the benchmark at the time of installation. I don't know if this is standard practice or even necessary, but it certainly covers all the bases.

It is not neccesary in this case ( legally ) but for the sake of a piece of paper no harm in having it , some may ask to see it , & without it ,it might cause hassle !

The gas pipe is new & would have been tested any way ,at time of installation is not a requirement of a LLT to test gas pipe work , although advisable to do so !!!

Think of the poor kids in Portugal or wherever, who were killed by a gas water heater, they went there for a holiday!!!!! It really should not be an issue to be 'doubly' safe.

quite agree , although that was a problem of on going maintenance on old appliance's , any landlord would be advised not to have open flued appliance's , I beleive the appliance's in question were open flued water heater's ???

All properties that are let require a landlord cert (CP12). This includes new installations. The exception where a new cp12 is not required is when an appliance is replaced and there is already a current cp12 for the property.

Holiday lets do not require a new cp12 for every occupancy change

New install's were every thing is new , according to my imformation do not require a LLT certificate , this imfo would be about 4 years old & was a written response from corgi , in answer to this very question , not to say it has not changed ??????????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back