Customer Refusing to Pay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a bit of advice please,

We had a customer who wanted a boiler replaced. The day before we were due to fit it he asked if we could change a few rads aswell.

We went to site in London and fitted the new boiler and picked up the 5 rads. The rads were all slightly shorter than the existing ones so we had to join the pipes inder the floors.

I didn't charge any extra labour, just the cost of the rads.

About six days later the boiler lost pressue. He topped it up and it dropped pressure agian overnight so I arranged for a local plumber to go round and check it. He checked all our joints and they were all okay. He did however find a leak from a joint further up the pipework.

Now, I suppose it could have been us when we were working on the pipe work so I am happy to pay the plumber the £115 he charged.

But now the customer is refusing to pay for the following reasons -

1. He said that the radiators are not heating up properly. They were all piping hot when we left but even so, is this not a system fault? the boiler is working fine.

2. He is concerned if there are other leaks in the system.

3. He thinks one of the radiators is not level. Even though we showed him with a spirit level.

What should I do? I am not out to rip anyone off thats for sure but everything we did is okay and I think he is trying to pull a fast one. I had a bad feeling that he wasnt going to pay.

Technically the joint that was leaking is not our fault. The plumber has sent me an email advising it was an old joint in poor condition.

I have offered to powerflush the system for free to help clean the pipework and adjust the radiator for him but I said I would need payment first.

Am I in the wrong? What should I do? I am currently down nearly £2k. Should I get in touch with a lawyer? am i wasting my time chasing it and paying lawyers fees?

I could go back and flush the system etc for free but if he doesnt pay I am even more out of pocket?

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
did you not have anything signed ?
did you not flush the system for the new boiler ?

Hi bud,

Yes I have a signiture for the installation.

The customer did not want to pay for a Powerflush, He said it had been flushed a few months back.

I advised that if there are any problems with the boiler the manufacturer would not fix it if there is a dirty system.

To be fair the old rads were all really clean inside and the system was very clean.

I put it all in writting to keep myself right.

if you have a signature for the price agreed and work done etc.
you've offered to go back check he's rads etc and he's refused.

can't see that you've anything to loose if you put in a small claims.
apart from he'll say he'll pay you £1 aweek.

as for the concern of other leaks as i always tell them converting old gravity pipework to mains pressure can take its toll on it.

Sponsored Links
Did you travel down from Edinburgh to do this?
If you did :eek: you should have left with payment in your hand. He is banking on you being too far away to do much. Think he is taking you for a ride :(

You can do it through the small claims without a lawyer and for little cost but different rules for England than Scotland. One of the lads from down there may keep you straight on that.

Thanks for the replies.

We do alot of work all over. We had 3 jobs to do in London so it was worthwile.

The job was a combi boiler swap. On our quote we had an agreed price and I said I would fit the radiators for free, he would only pay for the materials.

I did the boiler swap and fitted the new rads. I also paid to repair aleak that may well have been there all along.

The signiture I have is on a Gas Installation pad prooving I installed the boiler.

Would I win in court?

You sound a nice guy and your punter is TRYING to take the pee :rolleyes:

Do not negotiate further with him..................Send him a letter by recorded delivery stating that unless FULL payment is received within 14 days you will be taking this through the courts .

Inform him that court costs, inconvenience costs, interest PLUS bailliffs fees are very likely to add another £500 or so to his current bill.

I am sure he will see sense :D

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

You sound a nice guy and your punter is TRYING to take the pee :rolleyes:
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Hi,

Thanks. To be honest I ty to be fair with people. He seemed like a decent guy but there was someting not right about him. Had a feeling there would be problems.

The fact that the plumbing company proved that my work was okay must be good though?

To be honest, Had there been a problem we would fix it no questions asked but everything was working okay when we left.

Any further adventures to The Big Smoke make sure you return with the money ;)

could you not inspect the boiler remove it and say its faulty and then say SEEYA.

Give the man 14 days to pay then go to this site :-https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp
& sue his arse! Keep all paperwork & correspondence to support your claim. Contrary to popular views, if you win the judge may award the money right away with all costs. He may ask for time to pay & may be given a set number of payments, it's down to the judge & you will have a say.

If the party doesn't pay a judgement within the time dictated eg the first payment is due in 2 weeks & is missed, then the whole amount is due immediately. To effect this you go to the court, or down load & fill in an N323 form, that is a "Request for Warrant of Execution" . This costs about £100 which is added to the bill. The defaulter will receive a letter informing him that he has a set time (7 days usually) to pay up or the Baliffs will be round.
Usually the threat of Baliffs on the doorstep is very potent, trust me I've been down this path.

then the whole amount is due immediately. To effect this you go to the court, or down load & fill in an N323 form, that is a "Request for Warrant of Execution" . ) to pay up or the Baliffs will be round.
Usually the threat of Baliffs on the doorstep is very potent,

still don't mean he has to pay up he can agree £1 week and nothing you can do. he's not refused to pay.

then the whole amount is due immediately. To effect this you go to the court, or down load & fill in an N323 form, that is a "Request for Warrant of Execution" . ) to pay up or the Baliffs will be round.
Usually the threat of Baliffs on the doorstep is very potent,

still don't mean he has to pay up he can agree £1 week and nothing you can do. he's not refused to pay.

Not sure if you can change your mind after the bailiffs have been threatened.

The courts will want to do a financial assessment income and outgoings have to be declared and then the courts will agree on what is a reasonable periodic payment. Only individuals on benefits usually get away with a £1 a week.

Sponsored Links
Back