Cut and Pitch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the past the people on this site have been extremely helpful in helping me solve a variety of problems I have encountered, Thank you very much.

This question is aimed at the more experienced carpenters amongst us and relates to cutting and pitching roofs. Now i have been a chippy for four years but have only barely touched on "cut and pitch" having pitched a few Gable roofs and one Hipped, the latter being the one that I really struggled with. I have various books written by various "Master Carpenters" who give step by step guides into pitching any form of roof, I also have a roofing square and a rafter table book "ready reckoner". I am yet to grasp the roofing square and have tried use the rafter table book when pitching the hipped roof, to not much success though.

Does anyone know of any literature that could be very helpful or any method other than the ones I have noted, which could give me a better insight into being able to pitch a roof accurately and with confidence. Thank you very much

Sponsored Links
i use trigonometry a lot when pitching a roof.

i also use the simplicity of a sliding bevel, a level and the marks on my de-walt sliding compound saw!

but, actually knowing the lengths and heights of the roof 'triangle' in advance, by the use of trigonometry, gives me an advantage and a confidence boost.

Yeh I know everything is on the square it is just becoming confident in using the square properly, the thing is I do not do enough cut and pitch "I feel" to be able to pick it up in the practical sense, therefore I try and use books to educate myself for future jobs and prospect. Noseall, I to have a sliding compound mitre saw "Bosch" its all well and good providing you know the angle and the cuts to begin with and as sarcastic as this comment reads it wasn't meant this way, cheers

Sponsored Links
learn trigonometry. working out roof lengths and pitches becomes easy.

i still have trouble with the hip rafter though. i find the tools 'trial' and 'error' work best sometimes. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back