Roof pitch

Discussion in 'Roofing and Guttering' started by allenvb, 23 Sep 2006.

1. allenvb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Dear all,
    How do I work out the pitch of my roof as I want to tile my mono pitched roof but not sure of the pitch.

PS does any one know any good books/websites on roof construction

V

2. noseall

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    look at the side of a lean-to roof. you basically have a right angle triangle.
    a vertical, horizontal and diagonal.

you will need a scientific calculator.

divide the vertical measurement by the horizontal then press, inv. tan. on the calculator and this will give the roof pitch in degrees.

the roof pitch is the angle created by the horizontal and diagonal.

3. blister

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    failing that the good old method of a piece of paper against the wall and drawing the pitch onto that and getting a protractor to work , a roofer would have a roofing bevel that shows you the angle in degrees on the inside edge

4. noseall

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    following on from blister. draw a vertical pencil mark on the barge board on the gable end of a roof. using an adjustable bevel, set it to the mark. you can then transfer this angle to any decent chop saw and simply read off the saw bench guide, the degree of cut.

5. ^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    An inclinometer or level with an adjustable bubble will cost about £5, which is nothing in terms of the cost of materials for this job and the time in trying to work it out by other methods

6. claddernladder

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    you can buy an angle finder these days witha magnetic base ideal for disadeck systems etc or just plain old traditional roofing, they are around £5 protractor? pencil? paper? all well and good if your boss sends you out to measure a job on friday afternoon and you forget your kit but come on, these ways should be a thing of the past! LOL