Cutting 9mm ceramic floor tiles - manual cutter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm laying some 9mm thick 30x60 ceramic floor tiles but find that when use a manual cutter half of them end up with the corners chipping off at the end where the 'snapper' is applied to the tile. Is this because my cutter is not good enough quality or am I doing something else wrong? The cutter worked fine on my last job with thinner tiles.

I have a lot of straight cuts and would rather not have to use a wet cutter.

Sponsored Links
could well be that the cutter isn't up to it, often the breaker 'foot' that comes down onto the tile is too narrow to break well.

The most likely though is that the wheel is knackered - especially if you have ever scribed a tile twice (you should only ever scribe once). pick up a new wheel, its likely that will sort it.

And yes, for straight cuts use a manual cutter every time

Thanks for the reply. For the record I went to the hire shop who gave me a brand new Rubi TS60-Plus model for the weekend at a cost of £25.

It is very easy to cut the tiles, even lengthwise with this cutter. Every cut is dead straight and I didn't chip a single tile - it has a separate lever for the snapper that is a combination of a spreader and small anvil that raises from below.

I see it's £300 worth of cutter so it should be good but well worth the hire fee. I think I'll send my old one to the tip.

*********** offer a limited range of tool hire - including Rubi Tile Cutters - you could get a TS60 cutter on a week's hire for £20 - subject to availability.

Currently not advertising Tool Hire on their website. But if you are close by - perhaps a bit better value?

Sponsored Links
yep. Rubi are the top end. great bits of kit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back