Cutting a 45 angle on skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just had to go and buy a piece of skirting for my fire breast as we no longer have a gas fire, origonally we hade 2 skirts either side of this fire but now its gone I have bought 1 long piece

7" Taurus/lambs tongue needs 2 45 degree angle cuts to join onto existing pieces that are on the sides of the fire breast, I dont want to hire the same mitre saw again so all I have is a hand held circular saw

This one http://www.toolhouse.gr/shop/images/EVOLUTION FURY.jpg

Is there a special way I can use this saw so as to get an acurate 45 angle

Oh nearly forgot, I do have a mitre saw but it would only make a 5" cut hence why I hired a big beast

Thanks

Sponsored Links
ever heard of a hand saw
54597.jpg

erm...hand saw you mean like a cut or a scratch :LOL:

I did say I wanted an accurate cut, sadly freehand will not suffice there is nothing worse than an ill fitting corner especially on the fire breast wall which is the most viewable in the room

Am sure I will figure it out myself I just thought I would ask the OP what they would do with same limited tools as me

Thanks anyway dawg

Sponsored Links
Thats what I hired but am sure it was makita, needed to be one of thems because the skirting is 7"

Oh and forgot to mention, my skirting is stained, so neat fit is paramount, cant justify hiring a big mitre saw for just 2 cuts hence this thread

so its back to the hand saw. a sharp saw will do a perfect job.
71285.jpg

I would need to knock up some kind of jig to hold the skirting in place while I saw through it!

Maybe have something either side to keep the saw deviating from its cut

If I come up with something ingenious I shall be sure to share it!

Thanks

forget about using your circular saw at 45 degrees its even harder than the handsaw free hand lol

clamp a batton on your cut line and use a handsaw at 45%

A neat fit is not necessarily dependant on the new skirting having a perfect 45 deg cut.

Much depends on whether the existing return ends are cut at 45 deg, also whether the chimney breast is square, also a piece of timber skirting 7" high is likely to be or develop a curve (the annual rings of the timber tend to try to straighten out) causing this.

I would use (in your shoes) a mitre block as above and adjust cuts with a sharp hand plane as necessary.

Steve :)

10" saw to cut 7" i do not think so monkey just likes to have the last word

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back