Cutting a cable with the outer sheath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve been using a pair of pliers and a side cutter to cut 2.5mm T&E cable. It’s often hard work and gets harder with even larger cables. Am I using the wrong tool for this job?

Sponsored Links
Well, you are asking a question much like:
What is the best car to buy. So I would say a Bugatti Veyron.
But you may only want to take a few local trips and don’t have £5million to spend.
So looking at cable cutters. There are some excellent ones that will easily cut cable up to 250mm²
CLICK
That come it at about £100. They have nice long handles and you can use them all day, every day.
If you only want to cut regular domestic cables (including meter tails) then THESE
will be adequate.

Sponsored Links
I am not an electrician but my cheapo VDE side snips from Wickes are fine with 2.5mm.

How old/abused are yours?

Well, you are asking a question much like:
What is the best car to buy. So I would say a Bugatti Veyron.
But you may only want to take a few local trips and don’t have £5million to spend.
So looking at cable cutters. There are some excellent ones that will easily cut cable up to 250mm²
CLICK
That come it at about £100. They have nice long handles and you can use them all day, every day.
If you only want to cut regular domestic cables (including meter tails) then THESE
will be adequate.
Okay let me qualify this. I’m not a professional or do this for a living. I am a keen DIY enthusiast and don’t mind spending a few more quid for something that will last. I often work with cables up to 6mm. Hoping that provides some more context.

I am not an electrician but my cheapo VDE side snips from Wickes are fine with 2.5mm.
For what it's worth, the same here.

In fact, although I do have cable shears, I very rarely use them for any T+E less than 16mm² (and, to be honest, they';re not very good with 16mm T+E), maybe 10mm² - in fact, I usually only use them for tails/singles of 16mm² or above. With 2.5mm², 4mm² or 6mm² T+E, I have no problem with side cutters (two or three snips, when necessary).

Kind Regards, John

edit: I actually bought a couple of pairs of side cutters from Lidl and they are now my go to cutters!! £2.99 a pair if I recall correctly as well.
Yep they are pretty good when new, obviously at the price one doesn't expect them to last as long as a decent pair, and they don't, but AFAIC I'm happy to use them for half ayear and dump when showing signs of wear. Avoid the black handled version though.

the red and yellow handled ones were the ones I got and for the money they are excellent and marked IEC60900 just the same as my CK cutters
and i have just seen that lidl are doing these from next sunday
https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/diy/parkside-long-drill-bit-chisel/p51843
ideal for getting down behind a skirting board. I think a set of each will be required for my tool box!

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back