Cutting a kitchen unit door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to reduce the size of a kitchen unit door, its a one off so dont want to buy special tools. I am reducing the width at the door handle end so I dont have to fit the hinges again. It is high gloss black and will get a strip to cover the cut end. (chipboard)

I have tenon saw, circular saw, jigsaw. I would prefer hand sawing but wary of getting a straight enough cut, although I could power plane if necessary to even off.

Any thoughts / tips as I only get one shot at this, I am average DIYer.

My main concerns are ....cutting a straight line and chipping the laminate.

Sponsored Links
Circlar saw.
Clamp a batten to the door & romm the circullar saw up it.
You will get a good straight edge, v easy, take time with the clamp & measurements.
Saw from the good face side of door, if you are worried about scratching the door put paper on it.

to add to diyis fun s advice
take 3mm or 6mm mdf sandwich the door and you will not get chipout as long as the boards are firmly on the surface[flat surface]

As an alternative to Big-All's approach I'd score the cut on both sides if possible then using a fine tooth blade, sharp I'd saw from the rear of the door

BTW the doors are made from MDF not chipboard

Sponsored Links
I need to reduce the size of a kitchen unit door, its a one off so dont want to buy special tools. I am reducing the width at the door handle end so I dont have to fit the hinges again. It is high gloss black and will get a strip to cover the cut end. (chipboard)

I have tenon saw, circular saw, jigsaw. I would prefer hand sawing but wary of getting a straight enough cut, although I could power plane if necessary to even off.

Any thoughts / tips as I only get one shot at this, I am average DIYer.

My main concerns are ....cutting a straight line and chipping the laminate.
Why is this?

Because I need a unit that is 82 cm wide to fit.
I have cut down a 90 cm unit that I had.

remember to cut the door 4 or 5mm smaller than the carcase for clearance and added edging

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back