Cutting a radiator off a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm redecorating a room with a small radiator on it. After trying unsuccessfully to remove the radiator it looks like the plasterboard on the wall is blocking the bracket.
I'm assuming what has happened is someone put plasterboard on the walls, didn't bother taking the radiator off first and simply slid a bit of board behind the radiator and screwed it into place. Behind the radiator is the only part of the room where the wall isn't new.

So how can I get the radiator off? There is next to no space behind the radiator to get any tools behind it. Maybe 10mm between the back of the radiator and the plasterboard.
I don't really want to rip the wall apart but short of trying to cut a radiator off a wall I'm not really sure what to do. It's an old radiator so I'm not bothered about replacing it.

F5QPTd1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I edited my original post while you were replying

There is next to no space behind the radiator to get any tools behind it. Maybe 10mm between the back of the radiator and the plasterboard.

use a couple of blocks and a short baton to lever the rad upwards about 10mm then pull it towards yourself.

Sponsored Links
use a couple of blocks and a short baton to lever the rad upwards about 10mm then pull it towards yourself.
Don't think there's the space to move it up 10mm, the plasterboard looks to have been placed hard up against the bracket. Tried lifting it but it doesn't shift.

Can you not just leave it and decorate with it in place?

Yep, it's just been painted over a few times and could do with being tidied up a bit or replaced. Think I'll end up having to leave it because it sounds like too much of a hassle

I would have thought JimCrow's idea should work, the brackets welded to the rad should be able to "bite" into the edge of the plasterboard and allow the rad to lift enough to come off the bracket on the wall.

Try a car jack & a piece of wood under the rad, it will damage the plasterboard but you can fix it when the rads off the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back