Cutting a "U" shape out of a tile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, i wnat to cut a U shape out of a tile where it partly passes over a vent.

Tiles are porcelain 600x 280 ish mm and 8mm ish thick. I`m using a diamond encrusted wheel on a tile cutter, but cant see how i can use that to cut the shape i need.

Is best option cut the two vertical bits of the "U" into the tile with the tile cutter and then use a tile saw to chop out the rest of it? the cuts wont be exposed as they will be under the vent cover. Or could i tape the tile and drill it multiple times to get the desired shape out?

help appreciated!!!

Sponsored Links
I had to do the same when i tiled my bathroom. The easiest way i found was to cut the 2 straights with a tile cutter/saw and either do the rounded bend with a jig saw with a tile cutting blade or use a tile nibbler and file the "jaggedness" with a tile file. I did try drilling loads of hole originally but gave up after breaking a few tiles.

I used a tile saw, just keep nibbling & finish with a file, once grouted looks ok.

Sponsored Links
If you only have the one tile to do you may find your tile shop will do for a £1 or so, mark the tile & take a spare

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back