Cutting hinge hole in wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

After some advice, planning on making a cupboard in an area that will not allow for me to purchase a 'standard' item, actually its not a cupboard it a kind of bar........

My plans are this, in the corner of the room to build a frame and attach side boards which will hold the doors, that I will be having made to size, however one of my problems is about the hinges!

Assuning they are standard 'kitchen' type doors and using these kind of hinges, whats the best way of cutting the large round recess to hold the hinge? Do not have a router! Is there a tool that will fit in a normal drill to do this?

Sponsored Links
Either a Forstner bit of the correct size, or a purpose-made hinge boring bit like these.

You will also need a drill guide or a drill press: don't try using these bits in a hand-held power drill.

Sponsored Links
You can use them in a handheld cordless or mains drill if you knock up a simple guide something like this and don't drill too deep :!:

Jason

A good suggestion.

But how do you make an accurate drill guide without using a drill guide or a drill press to make it?

And how do you accurately control the depth of drilling using such a guide?

I'm not criticising, just curious.

I only use the guide to save marking out individual holes, its easy enough to start the bits on a marked point and hold the drill up straight to mak ethe initial jig

As for depth when the top of the bit is level with the top of the jig I've got a 13mm deep hole ;)

I did use a similar jig in conjunction with a router fitted with a 40mm guide bush and a suitable speed rated hinge bit to plunge cut but the same bit in a cordless is actually easier and quicker. As for using a drill press, mine is too close to one wall to get wardrobe doors in, and you would need roller stands or similar to balance the door while you drilled.

Jason

how about a hungry woodworm tethered to a drawing pin by a short piece of cotton? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back