Cutting Holes for Downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently purchased 2 sets of downlights which I have never fitted before! The hole sizes stated are 66mm and 72mm. I cannot find a 66mm hole cutter anywhere and wondered what size up I could use to create the hole. i.e would a 72mm hole for the 66mm downlight be too big and what problems might it cause? Help would be appreciated as ive just boarded the ceiling and am about to try and purchase suitable hole cutters.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
there are hole saws in any size, just got to find them, rule of thumb is that 1 or 2 mm will be ok, any more and the light will flop about, not sit flush, fall back out. alternatly, get a compass and a jab saw!

TLC sell a downlight hole cutter with an adjustable blade and dust catcher. A friend of mine has one a swears by it, although I just can't get along with it and much prefer a proper holesaw. However, if you really can't find the size you need, it's a potential solution...

TLC sell a downlight hole cutter with an adjustable blade and dust catcher. A friend of mine has one a swears by it, although I just can't get along with it and much prefer a proper holesaw. However, if you really can't find the size you need, it's a potential solution...

I have got one of those, used it once, still in it's box somewhere, not my cup of tea, you cant see what you are doing properly if i remember correctly, plus i like the sting you get with gypsum in the eye!!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back