Cutting in 2 different colours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Painting the spare room, 2 walls purple and 2 grey.
As we will have 4 corners where the colours meet I've tried to prevent having 2 wet edges.
Tonight I taped off the purple walls and painted 4 inches of the grey walls, see pics below.
There was a tiny bit of bleed and they aren't as straight as I wanted.
Planning on doing the purple cutting in freehand, or tape over the grey paint as it will be dry tomorrow.

What do you guys think? Just go freehand?
IMAG1181.jpg
IMAG1182.jpg
IMAG1183.jpg
IMAG1184.jpg

Planning on just cutting in to the coving and skirting in the grey walls now I have done the corners.

Sponsored Links
Corners of rooms are never straight or plumb! A trick to employ is to bring the paint of the darker colour just round the corner about 5mil and mask a plumb line there. Use a good quality tape and don't flood the edge with paint.

I have got some frog tape which I used to mask the coving. If going with 2 coats will I need to cut in twice?

Sponsored Links
If the corners are bumpy run a line of caulk down them, wash 50% out and when dry you will have a much cleaner line.

Given the size of the room and having just noticed the mass of tape, go free hand.

Buy a 15mm or 22mm sash brush and cutting in is as easy as it gets. I tend to cut in with a 2" brush, well loaded and never taken straight to the edge, do few passes 5mm from the edge and then do the final cuts.

Taping a whole room is pointless because you will never get a completely perfect edge all around and will inevitably need to touch up. The time taken to tape, remove, touch up will be longer than taking your time to cut in a freehand straight edge with a good quality brush. A 2½" brush with a chiselled tip should make life much easier than you think.
A tip for DIYers with an unsteady hand is to use a putty knife or scraper and gently run it in the corner to give a very faint indented line to work with. This allows you to drag the brush tips along the line and the slight groove provides a point to stop the paint from bleeding around the corner.

Great thread!!

We would soon be having the same issue. My wife wanted us to have a go ourselves but in the living room - the main room & what with being on show to other people, i was bothered about the corners & was thinking of getting the professionals in (at cost :() but it's reassuring to know you wont get a 100% perfect line.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back