Cutting into ceiling joist

No way - the only piece of missing joist is well within safe limits near the end of the span.
If the trimming or heading off came in the centre of the span then all boxing in timbers would be doubled.

This is how timber framed house floors are framed from new.

The load is still split though isn't it, no matter how many times the timbers are doubled? Are you sure it's safe ?

Sponsored Links
Are you serious? You would rather move a bath with all that implies in terms of moving the plumbing and re-arranging the other fixtures and tiling - rather than study a simple diagram for five minutes and chop off a bit of joist?

Potentially weakening the structural integrity of my house is a serious matter is it not?

First off. You said "google - header joist pics and hearth trimming joists pics"

I did and was presented with lots of different images/configurations and as I don't know what I'm looking for exactly it seems a bit pointless just to choose one and study that to see if it will work with how things are.

Assumptions have been made as to the current state of the bathroom and house. There are no tiles to remove, there is no ceiling under the plumbing, there is no flooring in the bathroom (except of course the floorboards).

Moving the bath 6cm to the left of the joist, would be pretty easy and straightforward for me to do. It would mean disconnecting the plumbing (water\waste) and cutting 2 new areas out of the floorboards and reconnecting the plumbing. I have easy access to all the plumbing from the ground floor.

I would still need to disconnect all the plumbing and completely remove the bath in order to cut into the joist if I went this route, so if there were tiles, boarding etc, they would still have to be redone afterwards.

I'm not saying that removing the part of the joist that's obstructing the trap isn't an option and it may well be a good option, but it is not something I would do and therefore it would require a professional to first see if it is possible and if so, do the work and this is all cost.

As things are, the guys that have done this work are no longer working on the job as things have been done that I didn't want done and things wasn't done that I did want doing and some of the things I wanted doing that was done, need to be redone correctly. I haven't been consulted on things that I should have been consulted on and things are a big mess.

In another thread I was asking advice as I was told (by the guy doing the work) that the air vent to the soil pipe isn't needed. I was told that it is needed, so the soil pipe needs to be cut into to reconnect it to the air vent.

I will be getting some other people\other companies in to look at what's been done and what needs to be done and go from there.

Thanks

HawkEye244,

Have you ever considered how the joisting is trimmed around a brick hearth?

google "hearth trimming joist pics"

Its been done that way for over 200 yrs, and every Bldg Code that i'm aware of approves the practice.

Sponsored Links
HawkEye244,

Have you ever considered how the joisting is trimmed around a brick hearth?

google "hearth trimming joist pics"

Its been done that way for over 200 yrs, and every Bldg Code that i'm aware of approves the practice.

Thanks I'll research that, just the thought of the weight of that bath filled me with fear

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back