Cutting Inwall speaker into Inner Leaf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There,

I am currently renovating my lounge and need to cut an inwall speaker into the inner leaf of my exterior wall.

The house was built in the mid 70s and has a concrete block inner leaf.

The speaker gets mounted into a box that is secured into the wall. The hole I need to cut is 435mm wide by 590mm high and needs to go all the way though the inner leaf as the box is 120mm deep.

Are there any building regs for doing this sort of thing? And do you think the wall will need support for such a big hole?

I've read that for chases, you are only allowed to go 1/3 the depth of the wall deep, would this rule apply to what I am doing?

This is my first home and have recently moved in so I am very new to the DIY scene so apologies if this is a stupid question.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Maybe you need a lintel for an opening that big, although it’ll probably be ok

bear in mind cavities often carry water because outer brick skins are often porous and contain leak points.

You need to consider how to deal with that

Maybe you need a lintel for an opening that big, although it’ll probably be ok

bear in mind cavities often carry water because outer brick skins are often porous and contain leak points.

You need to consider how to deal with that
Plus a condensation rich cold point. It'll be knackered over the first winter.
The wall needs building out.

Thanks for the advice! It sounds like I need to do some rethinking.

The box that goes into the hole is completely sealed in place so that no air can travel from the cavity into the room and doesn't touch the outer leaf, the box is then stuffed with rockwool insulation. I was under the impression that would be enough to stop any condensation problems?

On wall speakers and building the wall out isn't an option because it doesnt meet the wife approval factor, oh how simple that would be.

I can get different in wall speakers that only require 50mm of depth into the wall, so with my 12mm plaster board and 100mm block I would be going less than half way into the inner leaf. Does that sound more reasonable?

Sponsored Links
It's a silly idea for all sorts of reasons - acoustics, wiring, cold spot, wall integrity.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back