cutting pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fit an iso valve to my toilet inlet.
I'll have to cut out dome of the pipe with a hacksaw I guess - is this doable?
Everywhere seems to recommend cutting the pipe on a block first before fitting, which I can't do here as the pipe is already in place.

...or I just cut the pipe somewhere close to the inlet (but behind the mdf boxwork), fit the iso valve and then connect a flexible pipe to the toilet instead of the rigid copper pipe that is there at the moment?

Sponsored Links
you can cut with a hacksaw, just file the edges down after youve done so and you could do with de-buring the bits of metal inside as well. once you done that just and water is back on ( with iso off) just turn on iso valve to blast some water out and any bits in the pipe.

and as for where you cut it :eek: it's up to you, and you can connnect with a flexi hose, just depends and which way you want to do it :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Developing the skill of cutting pipe square with a junior hacksaw will stand you in good stead.

Nothing looks worse than an unskilled cut, goes off at about 45 degrees. Just means someone skilled has to come along afterwards and cut both ends again to get them, sqaure, so three times the work.

You can get through a pipe in this way as quickly as a numpty with a pipeslice, but your pipe isn't folded in.

I heard a trick was to roll a bit of white paper around the pipe and then cut at the top of this to act as a guide...

?

:LOL: you should use a sheet of IZAL medicated paper.............I developed the skill of pipe cutting when I had to cut thru a 1 inch galvy pipe against a skirting with a blade wrapped in a rag ........back in the 70`s :rolleyes: hire a powersaw FFS :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back