Cutting Stair Newel Post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had some stairs fitted. The newel post is at the bottom as the stairs turn into the room.

Having trouble getting furniture down into the room, would be so much easier without the post in the way.

Is it a simple case of cutting the post square? To replace, drill out a 50mm hole and use a newel post with a dowel? Worried about not getting my cut straight enough!

Sponsored Links
TBH i just want it shorter for the time being so i can easily move my furniture down. Thinking about it, for future, it may be an idea to have it removable - if possible?!

Sponsored Links
A bit drastic I would of thought, better to dismantle the furniture, most furniture goes up in build your own style and not down and when it is coming down you no longer want or need it so a destruction dismantle usually does it.
Take the newel post out and the banister and spindles may just flop over. You said you recently had them fitted so they are going to be all nice and new and you are going to cut off the newel post o_O

I can not see how you could have a removable one as the banister and spindles will be attached and it will always be wobbly I would of thought.
As for cutting square a 50 dowel will work but if you drill it bigger to allow for getting it straight and use a PU wood glue which expands in the hole https://www.screwfix and then normal wood glue at the flat joining faces where you cut it off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back