Cutting through solid wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have put up a conservatory on the back of my house and I am ready to cut through from the kitchen, I will be removing a window and then plan to remove the brick work down to floor level to make an aperture for my new doors to go in.
My only hiccup is that the walls are solid and 450mm thick, what is the best way to cut through the wall, should I be looking for a large cutting wheel or is chain drilling and chisel the best option?
thanks,
Steve

Sponsored Links
The heading fits my project too. I currently have two walk in closets made of the same brick as the rest of the wall.

I want to straighten the wall and use free standing storage units instead.

So when I remove the brick using the above method of drill and chisel, I am wondering how to finish it off nicely where the removed wall meets the ceiling and the other wall?
Do I refill cracks with plaster?

Whatever you do, always check if the wall continues above the ceiling and support the wall above with adequate permenant support as required. Before you start swinging a sledge hammer around..

Sponsored Links
Just a quick update on this, the stitch/chain drilling and then using a bolster worked an absolute treat.
After drilling 20 holes down each side I used my SDS drill on hammer action with a flat chisel bit and took the wall down layer by layer.
the opening was left with surprisingly clean sides, unfortunately i had cut slightly undersize as i wasn't sure how well it would finish and then had to spend another hour opening it out! :rolleyes:

You drilled between each layer of bricks?

Nope, i drilled roughly 20 holes from the window ledge to the floor in a vertical line at each end of my opening, then removed the remaining section with an SDS on chisel mode roughly 6" deep at a time, this made handleable chunks of wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back