CV Boot Split All Way Around After Less Than 6 Months!!!

Been there, done that.

Let's hope its sorted now

I do hope so. Now they've put an OE boot on, it should last another 18 years like the original. (y)(y) :giggle:

Will be doing several runs to south western France this year, so will be getting a good road test. Need it to be reliable.

I hope this thread proves useful to anyone else in the future needing to replace a boot.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
OK, so boot number 6 has already jettisoned it's large clip and spilled grease again - 2 weeks since it was fitted. Clip may have gone AWOL much sooner, but this is the first time I've checked it. The latest boot is softer rubber type material and a Fiat part, whereas the previous one they tried was the more rigid plastic type pattern.

The garage that fitted the latest two boots put one on the offside 2 years ago and it's still fine. This boot fitted 2 years ago is soft rubber, same as the latest one.

I'm at a loss to know what's going on here. How can something that appears so simple defeat 2 garages plus my own attempt at fitting a rubber boot? It's almost like all the new boots are just a little too short and pull out when steering on max lock. Is there any hope?

Last edited:
Hell this is ridiculous!
At least the boot hasn’t split so I’m wondering if the clip was fully crimped on assembly.....do you have a picture of it, as it came off?
John

Sponsored Links
Only logical reasons.

Too much grease on the joint so boot can't grip.

Poorly fastened.

Poor boot or wrong size

Too much grease could be a problem, but that means two garages plus myself are all adding too much grease - which I can't believe. Also, don't forget the one I fitted didn't actually pull out of clip because I went Incredible Hulk on the crimping and nothing was going to shift that clip. So instead of pulling out of clip, the boot ripped all around it's circumference just inboard of the large clip immediately after fitting.

Poorly fastened - possibly, but once again it would have to be poorly fastened on about 7 or 8 occasions, because one boot had 3 different clips. And when I tightened clip to within an inch of it's life - it just ripped the boot off instead, leaving the rubber under the clip.

Poor boot or wrong size. Running out of options with this one. Had rigid plastic pattern boot, then Bailcast soft rubber stretch boot, latest one is genuine OEM Fiat.

Last edited:
Thinking about this logically, the boots are either pulling out of the big clip, or when the clip is incredibly tight tearing a brand new boot instead.

Is it possible that there is play/movement/wear in the shaft or cv joint location clip and it's making the shaft move into diff too far or cv joint is moving on shaft?

I remember when I was working on the driveshaft it seemed to pull out of the diff very easily without any effort. Could it be moving too far into diff and not securely located?

I just think there something else going on that's causing pull on the joint/boot.

Last edited:
Do you recognise the correct clips?
I have the correct setting plier but you can get away with joiners pincers and the join should be closed.
John :)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thinking about this logically, the boots are either pulling out of the big clip, or when the clip is incredibly tight tearing a brand new boot instead.

Is it possible that there is play/movement/wear in the shaft or cv joint location clip and it's making the shaft move into diff too far or cv joint is moving on shaft?

I remember when I was working on the driveshaft it seemed to pull out of the diff very easily without any effort. Could it be moving too far into diff and not securely located.

I just think there something else going on that's causing pull on the joint/boot.
The CV should be held by a 'snap ring' which is a locating thing....I don't recall the other end of the driveshaft having one.
Of course the driveshaft needs to float in the diff to allow for suspension movement - which is why they are splined.
As the boot didn't split this time, maybe the clip wasn't tightened fully?
Carman has all the logical reasons!

Do you recognise the correct clips?
I have the correct setting plier but you can get away with joiners pincers and the join should be closed.

Yes John, they're the type that were used each time. I used an Oetiker one when I did it, which are supposed to be the best. And yes, I can vouch that they do grip extremely well, but fat lot of good that did me. The clip and rubber underneath it stayed tight in place, and the boot tore off instead.

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
You know, at this point I'd be considering a replacement driveshaft.......just to save you going nuts if nothing else! I've found the prices reasonable so far.
The only explanation I can think of now is that the CV is floating on it's splines, rather than being locked there (snap ring again) whereas the floating should take place in the diff. The splines here are to give power transmission rather than lateral movement.
Only on one occasion I've seen this, and it was on a 4X4 truck where some clot had adjusted the steering lock stops and the extreme angle was pulling the boot off.
For sure, no one has done anything wrong that I can see here.

Thanks again for all of your replies. Yes, I'm beginning to think something else is going on too. Secure the clip normally like the garages are doing and it comes straight off. Or my method was to make sure there wasn't even a tiny bit of grease between where boot fits over joint and make sure the clip was super tight - and the new boot just completely ripped off instead.

If I do have to bite the bullet and go down new shaft route, what are the good brands to choose? Don't want a 50 quid Euro Carparts special that's made of toffee.

Sponsored Links
Back