Cv joint gone??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey have a toyota starlet...have it since it was nearly new 9 years ago..have absolutely hammered the life out of this car for 165K miles with no trouble. Its been some servant!!
Today i was driving through some forest roads a bit too fast and hit a massive pothole i simply couldnt avoid...anyway all seemed fine until i got home(about 50 miles later)
When i was turning into my drive i could hear the CV joint clicking on full steering lock.(seems to be an other slight noise too when i power on/power off)
Anyway my fears were confirmed when stuck my hand in and felt the rubber booth is ripped apart.
Should i bite the bullet and replace the CV joint or will i get away with replacing the rubber booth and packing it with grease??
Also if i have to replace the CV joint do i replace the whole driveshaft?
Cheers,
Marty.
(no problem undertaking this work myself...just never been unlucky enough to require CV joint work)

Sponsored Links
I'm sure you can change just the joint on the Starlet. As it seems as if both the boot and the joint are away, there's not much point in changing one without changing the other.

Cheers for that...im goint to ring local breakers and see if i can get a whole drive shaft ...might be easiest thing to swap it out altogether.
How much would a CV joint be on its own new roughly?
Marty.

Sponsored Links
I'd go for another shaft if you can afford it, just incase whatever you hit has bent the shaft.
Ideally they should be replaced as a pair, if funds allow!

Cheers for that...unfortunately funds dont allow!!
A bloke has a complete shaft but thinks its from the drivers side...are they the same left and right???
Cheers guys,
Marty

No, the gearbox will sit to one side of the engine so one side will be longer

Actually turned out he had the left side after all :)
So i picked it up along with a wing mirror and aerial all for about £50.
I got the complete driveshaft along with stub axel disk and caliper...would i be as well off replacing the whole lot or should i just replace the CV joint??...and if i do replace the CV joint is it easy to get on/off the driveshaft?
Many thanks
MArty.

If I were in your shoes I'd knock the drive shaft out and just replace that. The CV joint should come off the shaft easily enough but if you've got one on the shaft just keep it on and change the shaft.

Cheers...will probably just do that...driveshaft should come away from gearbox pretty easy yeah??
Marty.

Put it in last night and all went well.
Only thing is i expected oil to come out of gear box but not a drop...should i be worried or is this isolated from the gearbox.
Cheers,
Marty.

Normally you do get a wee bit running out, best to check it to be sure.

Cheers...a dollop of grease came out alright but i whacked in plenty more...had the car well jacked up on that side so maybe the oil was all over the other side of box.
Ill try find the filler hole to check.
Marty

Sponsored Links
Back