Cylinder coil - how attached to cylinder wall/external

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst installing a shower pump I noticed that there is a weep from the upper coil fittting. I drained the cylinder & undid the 22mm pipe. This undid the female fitting which attaches to a threaded boss on the cylinder.

I cleaned this up & whilst retightening it I had a sinking feeling that more than just the female fitting was turning round but I can't properly see it to tell. Is this possible? How does the coil inside the cylinder go though the skin to the outside world. I've looked for a diagram but not found one yet.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
If you turn the threaded part of the coil to much you'll end up twisting the copper coil inside the cylinder.

I'm pretty sure that I hadn't put many turns on it, it was just very stiff. Regardless of how many turns I put on it, if it was stiff enough to overcome the resistance of the skin fitting nut, it could have turned a bit. It may well not have turned, just that it was stiff to do up.

If the weep was coming from the skin fitting, rather than the 22mm pipe connection, can this be cured? I would suspect that the tightening nut on the outside would be covered in foam as well as being on the L side, 4" from the wall so it would be a painstaking task.

Any idea what size the nut is?

I've got to reseal the Surrey flange tomorrow with Loctite magic, so I'll have a look at the coil from the inside then
Cheers
Jonathan

loctite magic :confused: where is that sold in Sussex - I`ve never heard of it - I use hemp+ paste magic and stuff the regulations :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Checked inside, the coil is untwisted. However there is a fair amount of surface corrosion around the fitting but this could be caused either by the tightening nut seal failing, or by the 22m pipe joint leaking & running down the fitting.

Contemplating taking the cylinder right out for a proper look. At present I have time & not much money......

Got some Loctite 55 (the only one in BN17?). Recommended by others in my previous post - who seem to think it's the dogs doodahs. Never got on with hemp & paste.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back