Cylinder coil scaled?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I believe my hot water cylinder, the coil inside is scaled up (probably over time) as the water flow from hot taps is the same, it just isn't as hot, and takes longer to get hottish. Is there anyway I can prove this before I think of buying a new cylinder and getting it fitted please?

Sponsored Links
thats a good idea. whats a good way of doing this please?

also how do i check it is definetely scaled?

Sponsored Links
i would have thought it would be better to descale the inside of the coil using a suitable cleaner added via the f and e tank or sealed system

Hi

I have looked in the header tank and the water seems ok, so i did not think sludge would be the cause. Also i put a magne ton the pipe where the vent/feed tee off and it was not sticking.

So i presumed the coil had scaled over the years, i would say the cylinder is 15 years at least old.

How can I prove it is scaled before I treat/replace it please from your experience?? Do I need a thermometer or something? The stat is at 60 and the temp from the tap is not as hot as before, and takes longer to heat up now as well. Maybe the boiler heat exchanger is also scaled ??

ANy help here would be great :)

but i believe the outside of the coil is the scaled part, the part that the fresh water over years have been in contact with and caused the scale build up on...???

the water inside the coil, the primary water i believe to be ok...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back