Cylinder connections in right direction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing the HW cylinder. The connections for the coil in and out are both 1" to 28mm elbow.
My question is, how do I make these connections sufficietly tight whilst ensuring they ae pointing in exactly the right direction for the existing pipe? Are several wraps of PTFE tape sufficient?
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thats one of the difficulties of plumbing!

Only by experience will you manage to get them right most of the time!

About 10 turns of PTFE evenly on the threads is usually right but the exact size of the male and female threads does vary somewhat.

Thicker gas PTFE tape is sometimes preferred by some people.

Also exactly count the number of turns of the fitting before adding the tape. Only do it up and never reverse it.

Most professionals would avoid the problem by using a straight connector and an elbow on the pipe!

Best of luck!

Tony

Much appreciated Tony.

I would have liked to change it to a straight connector, as you say, but space and the position of the existing pipes (which connect to original 1" iron pipes!) makes it impossible, at least for me. Counting the turns is a great idea.

Thanks again,
Bob

Use Loctite 55 thread, wrap round male thread, and tighten up, it allows you to 'back up' without leaks, never had a leak with this stuff!

Will wait to be shot down on this answer but only going from my experience!

Sponsored Links
Yes I also like the modern answer to hemp and paste where hemp and paste can't be used. On the primary side like this hemp and paste is allowed. Either is the answer..

The beauty of hemp is it expands with a leak and plugs it.

standar sinetered or gas ptfe is risky in this set up where the cylinder is usually of poor workmanship it is very common to experience leaks. Best tricks out of the bag for cylinders every time.

Thanks for the additional ideas. Paul, I did notice on receiving the cylinder that the machining on the threads wasn't of the highest quality...

On another note entirely...Kev, sadly this is no longer Mrs Thatcher's England, it is new Labour's, and they have all but ruined it!

Keep politics out of plumbing and use cylinder unions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back