Cylinder locks suited to key

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thinking about adding more locks to our various gates, newly installed ladder brackets, etc. But I really don't want a priosn-guard key-ring because I know I'll not both using locks if it's a PITA.

I would love the same key to work in my garage door and also a bunch of padlocks but how can I do that? What is compatible with what? I know euro cylinders are widely used but this is the sort of lock I've got on the garage now, is something like that going to let me use the same key if I switch out the cylinder?

upload_2020-6-25_11-58-20.png

Sponsored Links
you can buy padlocks to the same key easily. If you want to use them outdoors you would do better with padlocks having brass levers. They are much more durable than cylinders, and generally stronger too. You will first have to decide what level of security you want to pay for.

You can buy Eurocylinders to the same key, and, if you buy from a real locksmith, can have your nightlatch (of the same brand and range) altered at additional cost. However a nightlatch is not a secure lock so consider getting something better.

If your front and back doors are plastic, you have little choice but Eurocylinders (whose fundamental weakness is bolstered by gadgets as each previous one is overcome) unless you look at ERA Vectis 5-lever

If you have prodigious wealth, Banham will help relieve you of some of it.

Realisitically fairly minimal security is OK, but I don't understand which types of lock could be made to use the same key. The lock on the garage failed and I replaced it but swapped the barrel for instance. To get to this door you already have to get through a locked gate, and the door is not very sturdy anyway! We're talking casual thief deterrents here, scrapman, etc.

I had seen you can buy padlock chassis for a euro cylinder which made me think that might be the way to go - my fear was otherwise you buy some matched padlocks and then later on want another one and can't get it on the same key, over the years you end up with a mismatch. Padlocks are expensive, even not very good ones, so I want to be able to set myself up for future expansion/replacement.

Once you've got one lock you want to use in other places, can you somehow tell a locksmith what it is without physically giving them the key? Do cylinders have some sort of code describing them so you can order a replacement or something.

Sorry, I really don't know what questions to ask!

Sponsored Links
Realisitically fairly minimal security is OK

Common brass-bodied padlocks can be broken open with simple, common tools. If you have a toolbox it almost certainly contains what is needed.

For outdoor padlocks, the Squire 660 is very durable for a garden shed or gate. It has brass levers that do not rust, and the internal parts are large and simple. I have been using them for over 20 years and never had one jam (cylinder padlocks are lucky to last a year). it is quite big and has a large steel staple.

The makers say you can throw them in a bucket of paraffin every couple of years to wash out dirt.

The outer case is galvanised steel and will eventually go rusty especially if you are near the coast. I sprayed mine grey. Lock merchants will sell them on the same key if you ask. Note the key number and you can buy more in future.

You can get a more heavyweight 5-lever or 6-lever, ERA make some big ones, and there are some imported ones you will sometimes find at Screwfix or Ironmongerydirect.

The Chubb padlocks (now rebranded Union "C" series) are somewhat similar but vastly expensive. Still used on warehouses and jewellers' shutters.

For outdoor padlocks, the Squire 660 is very durable for a garden shed or gate. It has brass levers that do not rust, and the internal parts are large and simple. I have been using them for over 20 years and never had one jam (cylinder padlocks are lucky to last a year). it is quite big and has a large steel staple.
Looking online that's far less (£12 each) than I'd expect for a decent lock, that will actually work outside. Our cylinder locks need spraying with WD40 every few months as you say.

Common brass-bodied padlocks can be broken open with simple, common tools. If you have a toolbox it almost certainly contains what is needed.
From seeing a few videos online, I get the impression very very few padlocks are able to last more than a minute against someone who is prepared. Still, a super-cheap padlock won't stop anyone except a nosy passer-by :)

I'll look into the squire more, it's an attractive piece too.

this one appears to be a step up
https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/product/era-closed-shackle-padlock-64mm-489660
It is much heavier and a bit dearer, presumably stronger. I got one for a bike in the garage with a massive chain through a floor ringbolt.

You'd need a giant warehouse hasp and staple to go with it. I believe it used to be called an "insurance" padlock as it was accepted for commercial premises, in competition with the Chubb Cruiser and Battleship. I believe it used to be more expensive*. They also make a 6-lever.

However I've never used it outdoors so (although the spec looks correct) I don't have personal experience of its durability outdoors.

*edit
yes, they are sold elsewhere at much higher price
https://www.lockmonster.co.uk/cat/padlocks?refine=brand-era

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back