Cylinder mower not cutting long grass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive got a Suffolk punch Classic 35s cylinder mower. Its not cutting the longer grass in my lawn. The front roller pushes the long grass down then it springs back up uncut. The shorter grass is cut no problem.

Anyone any ideas what it might be? Thanks for any suggestions all!

Steve

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately cylinders just aren't great at cutting long grass.

Their other big enemy is uneven ground i.e small bumps or hollows.

Is this a new house for you or simply just the grass has been left longer than usual. How does it normally perform? Sharpening certainly will greatly help

Sponsored Links
The grass is generally flat. My dad passed away last year so I got his mower, I had always wanted a petrol mower so didnt want to get rid of it. Ive changed the oil, filter and plug, It runs ok so I thought I'd use it. The cut hasnt been that good, i've got a copy of the manual and adjusted the blades etc. Just wondered if anyone on here knew of anything else to check before I get the blade re ground.

Cylinder mowers don't like long grass. You'll have to keep it short and cut it regularly to get the benefit of your mower.

Ive cut it short with my old flymo mower yesterday, i'll try it mid week with the petrol mower and see if its any better.

Tip the mower back onto its handles so you can see the cutting cylinder.
The gap between the rotating cylinder and the bottom blade must be absolutely tiny - so little in fact that it will cut paper. The bottom blade is adjustable by equally turning two screws from above.
However, every time you hit a stone or even a sizable twig the cylinder blades tend to bend, so do check that.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back