D4 wood Glues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In previous thread got to the bottom of how best to join some large outdoor timbers:
//www.diynot.com/forums/woodwork/end-to-end-scarf-joints.375347/

Need to have a high strength D4 rated wood glue for this job.

Originally was going to use my usual external adhesive (Resin W), but thought that a D4 adhesive with some gap filling properties might be better.

AFAIK Polyurethane while having D4 waterproof rating are not that high in structural strength, especially when they have foamed to fill gaps.

The worst gaps are less than 1mm ... but want to use gap filling adhesive to prevent water ingress in future.

I see that there are 'Gell Polyurethane' such as Lumberjack:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/5+Minute+Polyurethane+Wood+Adhesive+Gel+310ml/p78519

Are these any stronger than standard PU glues?

Sponsored Links
d4 will fill 1-2mm gaps ok with enough glue and pressure
pu is foaming glue which will fill several millimeters but looses strength as it foams but is still extremely strong as it covers both surfaces
at 2mm gap it will be pretty much full strength [97% give or take 3 i would think]

when you mention D4 are you referring to PVA D4?
I ask as the PU glues are D4 as well.

'D' Durability ratings only refer of course to water resistance, not strength.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back