Dab'n'dot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently remodelling my house, knocking the separate bathroom and toilet into one room.

The the walls are now out, but in one place there is a mismatch in the plaster thicknesses on one wall of about 16mm (5/8" for the old timers) either side of the old partition.

My plasterer has suggested that I "Dab 'n' Dot plasterboard to the shallower half of the wall in order to bring the two thicknesses up to the same level. The walls are hollow brick with render and a top plaster skim.

Can anyone advise what I use to stick the plasterboard onto the wall, how much I need to use and if there is any technique?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Use plasterboard adhesive, which is "a gypsum based adhesive for direct bonding of plasterboard (and metal furrings) to suitably prepared backgrounds".

It can be bought from builders' merchants, DIY outlets etc. The British Gypsum stuff even comes with instructions on how to ue it. Once mixed, use within 90 minutes. If you don't use it all, wash it out of the bucket as it will set very hard regardless of how much water you put in, and the bucket will become useless. Don't wash it down your own drains either!

Do NOT put the dabs onto the existing plaster, as this may become loose in the future, and your plasterboard will come loose with it. Knock 6" (150mm) squares through the existing plaster, and bond to the brickwork behind.

An alternative is to screw the plasterboard to the wall, (using the correct bugle head screw, plugs etc.) straight through the original plaster. (lots more time and expense but might be less mess than knocking bits of your plaster out).

are you saying that the run of wall has a step in it of 16mm?

if you use plasterboard you will still have a joint that needs covering and a set of boards that need skimming, is it not simpler to clear the shallow wall of plaster and have the plasterer add backing coat and skim the whole run of wall to ensure a continuous finish?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like good advice to me,just let him get on with it.abag of dry lineing addesive approx Five pounds this will bed on about three eight by four p/boards,a bag of board finish at Four pounds will scim about six eight by four p/boards. Good Luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back