DAEWOO ESPIRO FRONT DISKS

JRS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought some new disks for front brakes on Espiro 2.0 CDXI, unfortunately the 'instructions' were crap, telling me to look at workshop manual for my car. THERE ISN'T ONE FOR A DAEWOO. So basically I'm stuck. I need to know how to take the old disks out, i.e. is it the two allenkey type bolts that seem to hold the brake mechanism onto the drum. The clip (only on the front disk) is easy to remove, but from there I'm stuck. Halfords were seemingly unhelpful, telling me it should be in the instructions and my telling them that there instructions refer me to the workshop manual, which doesn't even exist. Bit fed up, as when you buy the disks you are not buying them as a universal disk, but for a specific car or set of cars that utilise the same brake mechanism, so why put in the 'instructions' about differing disks being connected on different cars, as I didn't buy different disks, I bought a set of disks for a specific car or series of cars/brake mechanisms and all I expect is an instruction sheet that refers to the disk pads I have bought.

Sponsored Links
You mention discs and drums!!! I assume you mean discs and pads? In order to get the caliper (thing that squeezes the pads to the discs) off there are two hex bolts BEHIND the caliper. due to all the gunk that goes on under the wheel arch these can be rally tough to loosen. when you havee, let the caliper mechanism hang (or beter still zippy tie it to something sos as not to strain the fluid pipe). the disc is attached to he wheel hub by a little screw (the wheel nuts do the real fixing!) And in true Haynes fashion......refitting is a reversal of the above!!

Thanks for the help regarding getting the 'caliper off'. Any other tips welcomed. For example, after taking them off, fitting the pads it seems hard to get them back on again.

Sponsored Links
To ensure the pads fit in with the new discs (i'm assuming you are changing the pads also?) you need to push the piston back in to its housing. behind one of the pads is a circular piston. you need to loosen the bleed nipple of the brake fluid, open the fluid filler cap in the engine bay too. Pushing the piston back can be quite tricky, i find that a strip of metal against the piston whilst levering it back with a jemmy or large screwdriver works in the end, you need to have the piston flush with the housing for new pads/disc but it is possible!! Don't forget o tighten theee bleed nipple and top up any lost brake fluid.

Back