Daewoo Matiz Lost Key

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

As I reported on another thread in the GD section (My van keys were nicked), I 'lost' my car key on Sunday at the local Council tip. On Monday, an auto locksmith went to my car and made a new key but although it fitted the ignition and doors, the engine turned over but wouldn't start. He said I needed a new cable 'cos apparently only my model and year of manufacture (Matiz SE Plus 2000) requires a different cable (£90).
So on Tuesday he fitted the new cable (I wasn't there to see it as he didn't let me know he was going) but then he said it didn't work and now I needed a new transponder chip.
Today (Wednesday) he said that my car still doesn't start so there must be something wrong with the car. That's a bit strange as it was perfectly alright before I lost the key and I didn't have any trouble starting it.
Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this please? :cry:
(other than you stupid cow for losing the key or for not having a spare :eek: )

Sponsored Links
mmmm wouldve defo said you needed the transponder chip,BUT CABLE???
you sure he has the correct software for programming chips to your car?

not having much luck are you. :( quite a few quid youve had to splash out.

Yes gregers, £186 (50% of which had to be paid up front before he would attend) and £90 for the 'cable' that no-one I've asked knows what it's for or where it goes.
I have no idea whether he's got the right software as he goes to the car without telling me first so I can't be there to see what he does. I'm starting to think I'm being ripped off :evil:
He told me today when I phoned him that he was in my car trying to start it with jump leads but no luck.
When it first happened on Sunday, I rang the AA & they just said they'd ring a locksmith & let me know. They rang back & said he couldn't make it until Monday afternoon and that, if my car needed to be recovered from the Council tip, they (the AA) would charge me for it as it wasn't a breakdown.
It's really turning into a complete nightmare, not having my car for so long is causing me real problems.
I plan on going to the Council tip tomorrow morning to ask the blokes who work there whether they've seen the locksmith in the last couple of days and if they could tell what he was doing.
At this moment I can't see an end to it without it costing me an awful lot more than the £276 so far :eek:

£276 so far,im pretty certain for that price you couldve got the main dealer to do the work,i know on fords they can charge iro £180-£240 for 1 key to be made and reprogrammed.

im assuming this is an auto locksmith?
for that price youve paid the job should have been completed,not with you still having problems.
i would seriously look into,
a,why isnt it done to a satisfactory conclusion?
b, why is he still charging you.

Sponsored Links
gregers,

Yes he is an auto locksmith. He said to me today that, according to his computer, the key programming process was completed so basically as far as he's concerned it's my problem as there must be something wrong with my car. He's got me over a barrel really, I can't refuse to pay him or he won't give me the key.
I spoke to a bloke at the dealership garage today who'd never heard of having to fit a cable. They could make me another key for about £100 but I have to get the car to them (about 12 miles away) and they'd have to keep it for about 3 days while they ordered the key blank and code.
If I call the AA out & they don't find anything wrong with the car they'll charge me to tow it there.
It's a good job I've only got safety razors in the house, otherwise I'd be staring at my wrists pretty soon at this rate :cry: :cry:

Hi

Update:
I finally got my car back today after 4 days.
The reason my car wouldn't start was the key because my locksmith brought another locksmith with him today who started it within about 10 minutes using his equipment.
Apparently, the cable was to connect my locksmith's diagnostic machine to my engine so that they could 'communicate'.
The final bill was £293.75 and I've still only got one key so will have to pay out more to get a spare :(

so he charged you for the diagnostic cable WHICH HE HAS KEPT?
then charged you for the total job.
i find this hard to believe that if he is an auto locksmith that he didnt already own various diagnostic cables that couldnt do the job.

If the guy didn't have the diagnostic equipment to fix it, then the bill is null and void.

I hope you fight this OP.

Yep this sounds like a bit of a rip-off,
i'd be witing a firm letter to his bosses for a kick off asking why you need to pay for his equipment.
Thats like an electrician coming to your house and saying " i'll need money for some screw drivers so i can see where your problem is"
I'd also be asking why the 2nd bloke had it going in 10 mins, you should't have to pay for 1st blokes incompetence.
Hope all goes well for you OP.

Sponsored Links
Back