Damage caused by tv fitter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been called to a mates house, where a new television has been installed.

A really bad job has been done, and they also cut through a ring final cable. Where they have tried to repair it (with choc blocks!) they have pulled it around and its sliced through the live in the back of the socket beside it. The gas and water pipes turned red hot (hot water was coming from the cold water tap) and the owners were getting small shocks from the sink etc

Ive made a temporary fix of the problem (im qualified, but my knowledge is industrial) and they will be getting someone ive recommended in during the week to replace the cable etc.

Plus hes installed a speaker directly inline with a socket, which shows he doesnt have even a basic knowledge of electrics.

Theyve paid out around 150 for a plumber to come in to check it wasnt a plumbing problem, plus they paid the television fitter over 100 quid.

What would you do in this situation? they paid him with a cheque, so ive told them to cancel it, and ill be phoning him in the morning. Should the family be after compensation to cover the plumbers bill? How do they go about it, do they have to go to trading standards or someone and persue it that way, or how does it work?

Some pics:

02092007256.jpg

02092007253.jpg

The bottom is a complete mess, and impossible to plaster, the top behind the telly is just as bad. They will have to get it done again. They are going to get soclets fitted this time, so that they can move the table with the sky bits on easily by just unplugging - whereas at the moment if it was plaster they wouldnt be able to move it at all.

02092007252.jpg

Sponsored Links
I think they should get a new table lamp that one is hideous.

But in all seriousness, get written report / copy of bills from plumber, you your friend and send it to tv installer, oh and add £50 for admin fee. (pictures too)

Just read a similar topic back from 2006.
The advice seemed to be talk to the fitter, if he doesnt seem very friendly then take it up with his boss. If a dead end again the go to the HSE. Is this still the best route? Did i give bad advice telling them to cancel the cheque, or would you have done the same?

HSE waste of time, do as suggested, but if they have cancelled the cheque send a letter explaining why, and that a bill is to follow

Sponsored Links
Jesus wept, how the hell did he manage to cause so much chaos? :eek:

Maxxy said:
Plus hes installed a speaker directly inline with a socket, which shows he doesnt have even a basic knowledge of electrics.
What do you mean by this?

The fact that now overcurrent protection operated indicates no earth to property, and as such they shouldn't have added any kit to the circuits before sorting this.

I would be looking to get that sorted ASAP.

I would contact the installer and give them a chance to get it sorted - they will likely not want to come back and will send a spark themself.

Lectrician said:
The fact that now overcurrent protection operated indicates no earth to property, and as such they shouldn't have added any kit to the circuits before sorting this.

I would be looking to get that sorted ASAP.

Yeah ive told them to get someone in urgently, as its a TT system, and im not too sure about them. They are using only the main gas pipe as the earth, and im pretty sure there should be a stake too, so they will get someone in during the week.

The vertical cable also needs replacing - you can just about see its stranded in the picture, and in poor condition

Crafty said:
Jesus wept, how the hell did he manage to cause so much chaos? :eek:

Maxxy said:
What do you mean by this?

02092007255.jpg

Speaker on the wall top left is inline with the socket

Ah I see. Damn fool. He's gone and drilled TWO safe zones. Once he was lucky. The second time, obviously he wasn't.

*Shakes head in despair*

Another hideous light fitting! And more dreadful wallpaper!!! :LOL:

I don't like the looks of the old tinned copper cable going to the single socket (spur?) with the horizontal cable to the twin socket. How many cables are in the twin socket? Also looks like someones allergic to earth sleeving ;) .
How did you come to the conclusion it is a TT install? Bar a very dodgy repair job, looks like he was just going to plug it in?

Spark123 said:
I don't like the looks of the old tinned copper cable going to the single socket (spur?) with the horizontal cable to the twin socket. How many cables are in the twin socket? Also looks like someones allergic to earth sleeving ;) .
How did you come to the conclusion it is a TT install? Bar a very dodgy repair job, looks like he was just going to plug it in?

Looking at the fuse board :D
Confused me because i couldnt find an earth cable other than that coming from the gas pipe, so stuck my head outside and saw the overhead supply.

I advised them to get a full inspection and test done because of what i saw here, and they said they dont remember ever getting it tested, so theres probably no earth sleeving anywhere.

Theres two cables in the single socket, the tinned one comes down from above - ive advised them to get it changed. The other comes in horizontally from the twin socket on the left, so its all on the ring final

How many cables in the twin socket though? Have you proved ring continuity? Are you sure the double isn't a spur from a spur?

2 in the twin. I tested end to end at the fuse board for earth live and neutral, all are fine, aswell as mega testing. Also did a Earht loop test at the board and it came out to around 5 ohms. I think that youre allowed up to 200 for a TT system, but Domestic (other than the basics) is not really in my area of knowledge which is why im not taking the job on to repair it all, and recommended another electrician

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back