Damage classification

Is the capping off temporary?

I beleive that the care by the bulders would be implied in any contract. The assumption, IMO, is that the builders would provide protection, unless the contract states that the client is responsible.

As tradesmen, we all have our moments, and I have got carried away with a job, and then realised I should have done more protection, but that mess is unbeleivable.

Sponsored Links
As a homeowner I would expect construction mess. If there were precious floors then as a builder I would advise a remedial cost to re sand or remove/replace. This would be at a cost to the customer. There is cosmetic residue on the parquet. It can be re-sanded and re-finished. That is the point of real wood floors. The customer should have been made aware that there could be damage to any floors and the remedial costs discussed. The customer pays for everything. It is impossible to carry out construction work without such mess.

Is the capping off temporary?

Yeah, that's sorted now.

As a homeowner I would expect construction mess. If there were precious floors then as a builder I would advise a remedial cost to re sand or remove/replace. This would be at a cost to the customer. There is cosmetic residue on the parquet. It can be re-sanded and re-finished. That is the point of real wood floors. The customer should have been made aware that there could be damage to any floors and the remedial costs discussed. The customer pays for everything. It is impossible to carry out construction work without such mess.

At no point were we told that the floors were at risk. It was a slap dash job which we're now having to fix. And they chucked waste water down the toilet. It's not really the mess that really irks me, it's the complete lack of respect to the property.

That is nothing short of disgraceful!

Really can't understand people saying expect it? Yes expect some general dust etc but don't expect your home to be damaged!

There are to many trades that leave mess/ damage and really don't care, as a decorator I see it all the time! Plaster's are the worst by a long way! If that was me I would demand it gets cleaned up or the floor sanded and re-oiled!

Sponsored Links
it's the complete lack of respect to the property.
Unfortunately there is an attitude amongst some in the construction industry, especially those who have evolved on sites, that your home is just a building site like any other.
The builder (main man?) should address these issues and be falling over himself to sort it out.

Realistically, if construction traffic repeatedly passes through a specific narrow opening (which it often does and has no alternative) then the customer would need to be rather naïve to not expect issues in this area.

What planet you on? I work in domestic houses all the time, so Instead of making sure I know how to protect peoples property I should just wallop the place in paint?

Realistically, if construction traffic repeatedly passes through a specific narrow opening (which it often does and has no alternative) then the customer would need to be rather naïve to not expect issues in this area.
Fair comment, but one of their sales pitches is that they only knock through until the very end. As quoted from their website:

"The majority of your build is external and the project is accessed via the roof so you will not have builders walking through your home until it is absolutely necessary and you can rest assured that they will show the utmost respect and consideration to your home and family."

Plus they were actually ok with access and keeping that mess to a minimum. All of the displayed mess is from plastering only.

What planet you on? I work in domestic houses all the time, so Instead of making sure I know how to protect peoples property I should just wallop the place in paint?
Er...you are a painter bud. Have you ever tried building an extension through a door opening and passageway?

The point I was making was damage is often inevitable and largely expected. The missing part was the bit where the builder mentions this to the customer and asks if he would mind paying for the parquet to be temporarily removed.

If I were the builder I'd suggest re-sanding and finishing. The problem with these issues should be flagged up at the pricing stage. However, most customers want a price for the building work and do not want to pay extra for the unexpected. Nor do builders go out and load their quotes with "just in case" pricing, simply because most would not get the job and that he knows his competitors will not.

Er...you are a painter bud. Have you ever tried building an extension through a door opening and passageway?

The point I was making was damage is often inevitable and largely expected. The missing part was the bit where the builder mentions this to the customer and asks if he would mind paying for the parquet to be temporarily removed.

If I were the builder I'd suggest re-sanding and finishing. The problem with these issues should be flagged up at the pricing stage. However, most customers want a price for the building work and do not want to pay extra for the unexpected. Nor do builders go out and load their quotes with "just in case" pricing, simply because most would not get the job and that he knows his competitors will not.

Errrr doesn't matter what job I do, the fact still remains that's a plaster's mess that shouldn't be there? believe it or not ;) i work alongside builders plaster's sometimes but those are normally ones with brains so home owners don't need to worry about there house being trashed!

Errrr doesn't matter what job I do, the fact still remains that's a plaster's mess that shouldn't be there? believe it or not ;) i work alongside builders plaster's sometimes but those are normally ones with brains so home owners don't need to worry about there house being trashed!
Look, I agree. No point in having a pi$$ing contest.
Maybe the parquet shouldn't have been there either, or provisions made for its restoration. Often, when given the choice of either being out of pocket or risk sacrificing a floor or wall or door frame etc, the customer says crack on and let's see what happens.

Time is more precious to a lot of customers.

Noseall, you seemed to have changed tack on this in a short time!
You are quite right - there are times when "taking a risk" is the prefferred option. But as for not loading the quote with "just in case pricing" you dont have to. You explain the issues, and the cost, if any, of protection. The client then makes a choice, and I have lost count of the times where the punter has responded with "don't worry too much, we will be changing the xxxx in a few xxxx time, we can live with it", or similar. But you MUST record this in some way, I make a note in the quotation preperation, to avoid any later dispute. I had a client once making a big deal about me asking him to move his car of the drive, for me to access with fireplace etc. I asked what the problem was, and he said he did not like leaving his car on the road. This was a quiet side street with no parking problems!. I pointed out that there is a chance that I would dent or scratch his motor, and that I would need to make a little note for home to sign. So he moved the car, and was as good as gold thereafter.

Until recently, my daily work involved chopping out fireplaces, draining down radiators and digging floors - all of which carry a risk of "collateral damage". At the quote stage, I would assess the site, and explain possible repurcussions with client, and the methods required to avoid damage. I have never suggested lifting a parquet flooring temporarily!, but in the work area, dust sheets would go down, with thin ply on top. If potential for "wet", then plastic sheeting goes down before the dust sheets. It is a total pain, but a million times better than being in the OP's builders position. The most frustrating thing is that after taking the precautions, everything goes smoothly and the precautions seemed unneccessary. Occasionally there are high traffic areas, with, restricted access. It is sensible to point this out and explain that although care is taken the house WILL be a "work area", and some damage may ensue, such as snagging plaster on a tight corner when moving kit in and out. The same goes for when a punter has the house decorated, then decides to have a fireplace fitted (which happens more than you would think). Again the "work area" is mentioned and we cannot guarantee there will be no marks on the new paint.
Occasionally one does get a customer where all this is too much, and flagging the problems can lose a job - but, frankly, these are the sort of punters best avoided 'cos there WILL be an issue, and they will refuse to see your POV.
I also agree with the comment about site workers, and I have seen this many times. "Site" guys are generally different to those who have been trained in occupied houses. They often cannot "see" the potential for problems, as on a site there are few, and there is generally someone around to fix any damage, say a plumber gouging a chunk of plaster out of the wall when carting their kit through.
To sum up, the OP's problem with the floor was entirely predictable, and avoiable, and anyone suggesting that it is an acceptable and inevitable hazard of having work done so is being a little disingenious.

To sum up, the OP's problem with the floor was entirely predictable, and avoiable, and anyone suggesting that it is an acceptable and inevitable hazard of having work done so is being a little disingenious.
Acceptable - no. Inevitable - often.

There should have been a discussion about the floor. Even the more well intentioned tradesman can cause unintentional damage. The floor area in question was a busy construction thoroughfare. It seems ridiculous that such a precious floor was allowed to remain or at least not discussed prior to work being carried out.

Jesus Christ is this still being debated? The plasterer is a cock for not bothering to ask for some protection. As the builder employed him he needs to put it right. Anything else is just a load of *******s. Anyone who disagrees with that is unprofessional or stupid. End of thread.

Sponsored Links
Back