damaged kitchen worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some of the sort of chipboard inside a thin strip of kitchen worktop behind the sink has rotted away. The area was being used to dry stuff and obviously that's how the problem developed. The water was leaking in via an area of rotten caulk and damaging the worktop at the far end near the wall tiling. I removed all the caulk but now want to firm the area up somehow before adding new caulk. The laminate layer on top is fine but shows a slight concavity. Because of the hollow under the laminate however it bends in further with any pressure, thus it's not rigid enough to support new caulk to seal the edge of the worktop to the tiles. What should I use to fill in the damaged area? Expanding foam filler? I need something to fill out a gap that's difficult to access because it's under the laminate, and there's overhanging tiles. Just enough of a gap at wall to stick a thin nozzle in. It's not a large area, probably 6cm wide area affected.

Sponsored Links
if its shot its had it
any thing is a bodge that may last a few week month or even a year
do you have a picture off underneath

really? it's not such a large area, yes i want to seal it again but just wonder if i could firm up the damaged area with something. no photo of underneath no. the small area behind sink is now being kept dry and not leaving anything on there.

Sponsored Links
its rotten in a far greater area than the damage you see sealing it wont do much good as the wood will be saturated and damaged as i say far beyond the sag

you could try a bit off ally or other metal plate at least 300mm greater either end and make a feature off it
well sealed with silicon and hopefully you will get a year or so more out off it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back