Damaged main earth cable - advice please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I've just removed an internal brick wall adjacent to my mains fuse, meter, and earth connection. I've now noticed that the main earth cable clearly took a bash - despite being as careful as I could. There is a nick in it, which has gone through the insulation and has broken (at least) a few of the strands of cable, but it is difficult to see how many. The cable is a 10mm sq cable. It is safe to say that at least half of the cable is intact - probably more.

My plan was to replace it entirely, but having taken up the floor to do this, I can now see it disappears down a hole under the outside wall alongside the blue plastic water main, so I can't get to the source connection.

My alternative plans now are:
a) Wrap the nick in the cable with insulation tape and leave it at that.
b) Make a joint in the cable to replace the damaged section.

If b), what connecting method should I use? I have some 30A j-boxes already, would they be any use for this?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
10mm through crimp:

ctb06.jpg

Ratchet crimper:

044_1005_NE02G_NLCT_large._1.21.p2_.jpg

Are you sure it's your main earth and not a bonding conductor?

Photo?

Are you sure it's your main earth and not a bonding conductor?

Errm. No, I've no idea!

My electrical main is an overhead supply from my neighbour's house. It has two cables - the main supply and an earth. They come into the house just above head height, and go to the main fuse board. The main fuse has a big yellow sticker on it warning of multiple earthing.

The main earth j-box on the main fuse-board has one earth cable going underground - out of sight (the problem cable), one coming in with the overhead supply, one going to the (old) metal domestic CU, and one to another j-box serving the meter.

You tell me....?!

Sponsored Links
Don't cut the cable, but splice a new piece if 10mm from before to after the nick using clamps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back