damaged phone wire.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone advise please. i've managed to cut bt's drop wire where it enters my hallway through the front- door frame. (was enlarging hole to accomodate a wire for front door-bell). anyway i've joined the wire up with a bt junction box and extended it with new wire to the old gpo junction box .in this gpo box incoming i have 2 connections,blue &green twisted together and orange &brown twisted together. outgoing to telephone socket i have 2 connections, blue with white rings and white with blue rings. unfortunately i forgot which incoming connects to which outgoing !! help please.

Sponsored Links
What are the colors of BTs write coming into your new junction box and how have you connected them to the new cable?

hi, bt's wires coming into new junction box are orange, brown,blue and green. orange&brown were twisted together, blue and green were twisted together. new wire is same colours so have connected like for like in new junction box.i.e. orange and brown twisted to same, blue and green twisted to same. basically just using said junction box to connect bt's old damaged wiring to my new wiring. it's other end of new wire where i'm having the problem

Sponsored Links
In the absence of any BT repair guy, who could answer with certainty, then use the following, as it will not cause any problem

BT drop wire cable uses two wires only to get A & B from the exchange to the junction box. The other pair remains a a spare for possible future need.
Unfortunately, which two of the possible four is not evident without testing, but it will not do any harm if you use trial and error.
Most modern phones do not even care which way round is the A & B polarity, so it will not take you long!

(On the domestic exit from the junction box, there may be upto 4 wires---some may be cut back so only two are visible---,coming from upto 5 connectors. Of these 2 & 5 are your blue/white pair and are connected to A & B, 3(if used, and yours isn't) is the bell ring wire. 4 is an unused wire. Terminal 1 is empty & unused)

PS Just to "worry you", the wiring upto the junction box belongs to BT and they may get a bit shirty-or worse- if they find that you have cut into it and altered it yourself, as you effectively have done. They would prefer to charge you.Sorry!

By the sounds of the colours you have got and old bit of 4w cable either from the Dw up in the eaves if fed overhead, or from the underground junction box which will be attached to the property just above ground level somewhere. track the cable back and don't panic.
These cables can be grey or cream and they seem to have bunched the pairs it makes no difference which way you present the line to your installation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back