Damaged roof felt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of adding a loft conversion to my 1950s bungalow. On inspecting the roof, the tiles appear to be in good condition but the old original underfelt has repairs all over it. There are no leaks which I can see. I understand that holes in the felt are not all bad as they can supply plenty of air into the 50mm gap required by building regs between the tiles and insulation and many houses built prior to 1930 didn't have any underfelt anyway! Also I reckon the insulation will stop the flexing of the felt on windy days and may actually help preserve it.

But here's the rub! With old 1950s underfelt it is obviously breaking down and will continue to do so. So, if I do spring a leak via a cracked tile and water does manage to get between the tiles and insulation I won't see it, as even the plasterboard will be foil backed.

The question is, should I have it re roofed (will obviously cost me an arm and a leg) or just go ahead and hope for the best, or is it not really an issue? I will be interested in any comments or thoughts on it.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back