Damn Dimmer Switches!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apparently I keep buying the wrong dimmer switches :( . My situation is this: I need a dimmer switch for my sons room, there is one switch on the wall and a pull cord from the ceiling. The wiring in the wall is yellow to L1, blue to L2 and a red wire going to a terminal on the opposite side. Just bought a varilight that said it would do 2 way but apparently it won't. What can I use as I don't like leaving a lamp on all night for him :(
We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars.

Sponsored Links
Apparently I keep buying the wrong dimmer switches :( .
So it seems.

A little learning about how lighting circuits work before you started fiddling would have saved you a lot of time, trouble and expense. :confused:

I need a dimmer switch for my sons room, there is one switch on the wall and a pull cord from the ceiling.
It will be OK, will it, when the light is turned on using the pull cord switch, for it to be at the brightness setting the dimmer was at when the lights were last on, not full brightness?

What can I use
go and buy a 2-way dimmer switch.
Not a master-slave dimmer switch.

But I have to say that I'm sure that TTC will find it dispiriting, if not annoying, that you posted this question 25 minutes after he had told you what sort you needed.

you need a standard push button or rotary dimmer, like THIS

:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
What Varilight dimmer did you purchase? The code will be on the packaging....[/quote]

But I have to say that I'm sure that TTC will find it dispiriting, if not annoying, that you posted this question 25 minutes after he had told you what sort you needed.

you need a standard push button or rotary dimmer, like THIS

:rolleyes:

Dispirited? I am SUICIDAL

This is the THIRD separate topic he has started in three days on the same subject (see also //www.diynot.com/forums/electrics/installing-dimmer-switch.290262/#2113400).

Its no good to keep asking until you get a different answer. IT'S THE WRONG SWITCH.
Do not keep starting a new topic each time you go to the shops. People need to see the whole history, then they can judge what a pr@ you are.

I am not sure who is dimmer, you or the light.
You are off my xmas card list. I'm out. Goodbye

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back