Damn hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I recently had some fireplaces plastered and woodburners installed, but I am finding now that the plaster behind the woodburners is cracking and coming away from the wall, I am guessing that this is something to do with the heat from the fires, but is there anything I can do?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If the wall feels hot to the touch then I'd look seriously at why as there is something very wrong.

I doubt that is the case though and the plaster is probably old and the fire has dried it out, it's shrunk and is now loose.

You'll have to chip all the old stuff off and replaster using a 3 to 1 coat of PVA before you apply the plaster.

The wall is hot to the touch because it has a woodburner very close to it, also the plaster that is coming off is new plaster it was only done a couple of months ago.. :confused:

It's definitely a shrinkage issue. You need to use more PVA to literally glue it to the wall.

Apply one coat 1 part PVA 3 parts water and allow to dry.

Then when you are ready to plaster apply another coat of PVA that is about 50/50. Then trowel the plaster on whilst PVA still tacky.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Joe,

The plaster is literally detaching itself from the wall cracking as if its blown and falling off...

Me thinks I'll try your method...

Cheers

Try replacing the area behind the boiler with masterboard. This is heat resistant and can be overpainted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back